Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

I had some guy I 3bet PF suggest that I check behind JJ on a JTx-x turn

Him: I can't believe you bet that turn with top set.

Me: Huh?

Him: Your hand is so strong.

Me: Huh?

Him: What if I had a gutshot or something?

Me: Yeah? Thats why I bet?

Him: But don't you want me in there? With a gutshot?

This was a 10/20 LHE game at a crappy tournament series (pendleton poker round up). God bless B&M donkeys.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:48 AM

Just tonight some guy who claimed to have played 25/50 NL for many years told me any game with more then 3 loose players is unbeatable in the long run.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 AM

Not an uncommon statement at the wonderful $2 tables here in Florida:

Never fold before the flop because you never know when you might hit something.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 AM

Only raise preflop with any pocket pairs (meaning he limps w/ AKs). Never 3-bet preflop.

A guy told me this outright and stayed completely true to it.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 PM

these are great, last time i played the pink game at the trop i only got called on 3 occasions by the nuts on the river, the person said they thought it might be a split and didnt feel like betting more, hahaha, all pots were HU. They also said they like to keep it friendly, o i love the live fishies
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM

i'm hu at the river. on a KKKKA board. oponent bets, i raise. he berates me for raising, says that we have to be chopping. thinks about it for about 30 seconds, and then finally calls. I turn over 88 to collect half the pot.

"How could you raise with 88? You're playing the board."
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm hu at the river. on a KKKKA board.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been in a 1/2 game with 5 people to the river when the board was showing the unbeatable nuts. Broadway, or quads with an ace (broadway is a lot more common). Just for fun, I bet at it and got two people to fold. One of the players just didn't see what was on the board and admitted it. The other player hmmm'd and haw'd and started to ask the dealer a question and stopped himself and finally mucked. When it was over he tells us "I didn't know if when the 5 cards on the board play if you use kickers or something from the hands to determine the winner and I couldn't call a $100 bet not being sure".

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] NL1/2.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these are great, last time i played the pink game at the trop i only got called on 3 occasions by the nuts on the river, the person said they thought it might be a split and didnt feel like betting more, hahaha, all pots were HU. They also said they like to keep it friendly, o i love the spectacular pink chip game since it has more fishies than any other limit holdem game on the planet

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. I am proud to have moved up to much higher limits, but often miss the days of pink.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 PM

I play a spread limit dealers choice game (mostly O8) with this old guy, Al. Al's like 88 and completely senile. He honestly spends half the game asleep and mumbling about what happened in the 30s, no joke. He really is balls-deep, doesn't know what day it is, outside of his mind, crazy. He hates hold 'em. He says, "To play this game, you ain't gotta have a brain in your head, this is a damn dummy game."

Here's his strat though. Fold everything short of AKs, QQ, KK, AA pf, and pf, only raise AA, and the minimum at that.

Here's a hand I saw yesterday (sorry for no format, it's really just a story). 3 limps to him in the big blind, he exposes AdQd, mucks his blind violently and keeps muttering about how he hates the game. Flop AKT, two players bet and call. Turn J. Bet, raise, call. River J. As the guy with JT, looks at the guy mucking QT face up, while raking in the pot and says, "Man, I'm glad he didn't call w/ AQ, he would have made his straight!"

One of dealers open raised Al's bb once (single blind) from the button, and Al insta-folded QQ.

In a pot the other day, on a K42r board, all bet out in first position 1 dollar over the minimum. The table stops, basically unanimously states, "Al must have 3 kings," and no one can fold fast enough. Al cackles, mumbles to himself about the dummy game, and rolls over KK which he limped pf, as per norm.

Sorry about the tangent, but the comedy of this game forms around this guy. Every time he shows down a split hand, whether he scoops, takes half, or none of the pot, he cackles really loudly, and says in a parrot voice, "Oh, I shoulda had it all, shoulda had it all!"