Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Anyone else socially retarted?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if anyone else out there was finding college life to be not what you expected.
I'm in my fourth year doing computer science and in that time I have only really made 2 freinds in class. I've never lived on campus and find that on weekends I usually just end up hanging out with my old freinds from highschool.
We are starting to grow apart and I want to make some new freinds, I just dont know how. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is not you but them??? I thought i was socially retarded and found myself in your exact same situation. I looked at the myspace for my college and found out a bunch of posts on how this is a horrible place to make friends and how unfriendly everyone is. I read what I always thought about but never had confirmed through anyone else! finally im not the social tard but the environment itself is not open to friendships! It seems to me that it is like this in every college from what ive been reading!

why?? because college is a place for cliques/groups. You see the asians with asians, blacks with blacks, hippis with hippis and the most common group of them all is the "friends from high school groups." It is just difficult to be accepted by these groups since most know each other from some time.

You will meet new people in college, talk to new people, but just don't expect making lots of 'friends' (people you hang out with outside school, people that care and you can depend on). Those people already have responsibilities/loyalty to their old friends and are not going to leave them just for you (some guy they barely met in college).

the only easy way to make friends in college is by
a) meeting people through your high school friends
b) frats

My high school friends are gone and I go to undergrad school, no frats. So I really have no chance. I have never had anyone even say hi to me that wasn't a person I knew from high school. Maybe it is because this place really is full of stuck up people.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so [censored] retarded i don't even know where to start. the only reason someone doesn't make friends is because s/he doesn't make an effort to, THAT'S IT. well maybe not. maybe you don't wear deoderant, or something. so wear deoderant, or start trying to make friends. most people aren't gonna put out the effort, so just take that [censored] into your own hands.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:25 AM

IT is really different as a commuter. Most freshmen don't make friends in there classes, they do it in the dorms. I'm a commuter, but am lucky enough to live in an apartment building on my own, and I've made friends there. Sure, you'll make a few friends in your classes, but not the same as being in the dorm.

I also think I've made a lot of friends at the poker table.

With that said, I prefer life back at home because I was friends with just about everyone there, with a couple of very close friends.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Try to do organised activities, like a sport or join some kind of club. At least you will be with people who share the same interest as you.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have lots of friends and enjoy my social life very much at school

i have never made one friend in class tho (by friend i mean someone who i would feel comfortable calling to hang out with)

unless you are an incredibally social guy (you obviously aren't) you really need to live on campus or live with other kids that go to your school to make friends

[/ QUOTE ]
We don't even have campuses here in the netherlands [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i think i'm going to have to join sports/clubs and stuff myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if NOBODY is living on campus then it will be easier to make friends in non dorm friends

[/ QUOTE ]
true, but pretty much everybody just goes home when school's over. You'd have to find people in class to do stuff or go for a drink or something.

btw I'm so socially retarded... this cute girl who I like but who I thought doesn't really like me just ended a msn conversation with "speak to you soon!! kiss" (literally translated from dutch. Note the exclamation marks lol). Now i'm wondering what it means. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 03:27 PM

^^donkbluffer, i think she's giving u a green light, either way, make a move...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:17 PM

im going to start donking off multiple buyins at 25nl maybe ill make some friends
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if anyone else out there was finding college life to be not what you expected.
I'm in my fourth year doing computer science and in that time I have only really made 2 freinds in class. I've never lived on campus and find that on weekends I usually just end up hanging out with my old freinds from highschool.
We are starting to grow apart and I want to make some new freinds, I just dont know how. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is not you but them??? I thought i was socially retarded and found myself in your exact same situation. I looked at the myspace for my college and found out a bunch of posts on how this is a horrible place to make friends and how unfriendly everyone is. I read what I always thought about but never had confirmed through anyone else! finally im not the social tard but the environment itself is not open to friendships! It seems to me that it is like this in every college from what ive been reading!

why?? because college is a place for cliques/groups. You see the asians with asians, blacks with blacks, hippis with hippis and the most common group of them all is the "friends from high school groups." It is just difficult to be accepted by these groups since most know each other from some time.

You will meet new people in college, talk to new people, but just don't expect making lots of 'friends' (people you hang out with outside school, people that care and you can depend on). Those people already have responsibilities/loyalty to their old friends and are not going to leave them just for you (some guy they barely met in college).

the only easy way to make friends in college is by
a) meeting people through your high school friends
b) frats

My high school friends are gone and I go to undergrad school, no frats. So I really have no chance. I have never had anyone even say hi to me that wasn't a person I knew from high school. Maybe it is because this place really is full of stuck up people.

[/ QUOTE ]
one thing i noticed, which is kind of along the lines of this, is that if you haven't made friends by the time you bounce from the dorm you're basically [censored], and really have to go out of your way to get new friends, basically for the reasons that you outlined ie everyone has already established their 'crews.' some of my friends had this problem because of transferring. this other friend of mine transfered, and chose to live in the dorm, even tho he was going to be like 3 years older than everybody. smartest decision ever.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow it seems ya'lls view on college social life is skewed. during my current freshmen year of college, I've met many people who I would now consider some of my closest friends. Sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone to make new friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly

some real anti-social introverted pessimists in this thread...kinda obvious though since lots of their time is spent on teh internets

and no you don't have to make your friends in the dorms...I made a few real good ones but lots of the kids in my dorms were fuc-ups and eventually failed/dropped out/or their life went to complete [censored].

i went the traditional route like my dad and joined a large fraternity which was the way to go on a campus of over 30,000 undergraduate students.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:18 PM

OP,

Just join a society in whatever ur interested in. Like minded people means loads of potential friends.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

Just join a society in whatever ur interested in. Like minded people means loads of potential friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
my interest is fighting the illuminati and saving the world from it. Is there such a society in colleges? probably not!

I have no chance to make friends [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]