Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Re: The Shield 6.2 discussion thread

Amazing episode. So many things I didn't see coming -- Corrine coming in with guns blazing, filing charges of sexual assault; Claudette putting down the hammer in interrogation vs. Emolia... and wow, she was so good that Kavanaugh himself couldn't take it and turned himself in. Shane's guilt is getting more severe so I can't wait to see it play out when Vic catches Guardo.

In the Lost threads, there are people who keep saying, "God, what is it you people want from a TV show? No matter what Lost does, you come on here and bitch and moan and whine about it not giving you what you want, you're never satisfied."

You know what Lost fans want (and I used to be one of them, now I just watch it dutifully and hate myself because it jumped the shark and now sucks) -- they want THIS. They want The Shield. Every week FOR FIVE SEASONS AND NOW TWO EPISODES OF A SIXTH SEASON, The Shield has brought it. The plot moves propulsively, almost so fast we can barely keep up with it. But they also never sacrifice character development, and in fact it's the characters that keep the show moving so well. They give the audience credit, they don't jerk us around, they don't wait for us and they don't pander to us. They're smart and they just keep it real. That's what great television is. [censored] Lost and [censored] their rabid fans who are convinced that anyone who says anything bad about it is lying to themselves. Sorry guys, we just have higher standards than you. And The Shield sets the bar.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 AM

EXACTLY, the shield gives you the long term storyline that kicks ass, but at the same time every single episode brings so much adrenaline that if that was the only one you have seen, you would think the show kicks ass.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 AM

It's good, it's so [censored] good.

That was a pretty sudden end to the Cavanaugh situation if that was indeed the end. I had forgotten that Cavanaugh skeeved out on Vic's ex-wife.

It's pretty amazing how Shane still paints a sympathetic figure after all he's done. He's going to eventually off himself, I just know it.

So good. WTB next Tuesday

PS. The Mexican gang stronghold scene = fantastic
Old 04-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Maybe it's because I only got into the show last season, but I've never found Shane the least sympathetic. I want him to die real bad.

I need to see Paula Garces in less clothing on this show ASAP. Get some Dutchy Boy!

Weird that a house full of dead people isn't getting more play, I assume that becomes a bigger deal later.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Episode 2 was just as good as episode 1. Kavanaugh's end was quite fitting and a great finish to his character arc. Even more interesting is the dynamic between Vic, Shane and Ronnie as the latter two try to hold back Vic while he's hell bent on revenge. spoiler from the "scenes from next week": <font color="white"> They show the Strike team with Guarado (spl? The gang member Vic thinks murdered Lem) tied up, with Vic beginning to tortue/kill him. Shane finally tells Vic "Please don't do this. For me." Vic asks "Why Not?" How the hell is Shane going to answer that - man I can't wait to find out.</font> This stuff is so good.

My only disagreement: I think Lost has been awesome the last 3 weeks after 23 or so episodes of suckery. I'm holding out hope it's back. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Another great episode.

I didn't see the Kavanaugh thing (apparently) coming to an end so quickly. I thought it would take most of the season. The final exchange between him and Vic was great.

"But I'm at peace. Are you?"

Vic's face twitches before saying (I think) "Soon."

I still feel like the Dutch cat-strangling thing hasn't been fully resolved. I know he used his glimps of the dark side to get into a serial killer's head and solve the case, but it seemed a bit weak that it would completely cure him. I wonder if the gruesomeness of the killings this season will awaken old demons in him.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Just watched it on Tivo during my lunch break. This show rules. I'm not entirely convinced the Cavanaugh thread is completely done, but only time will tell.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM

I thought this episode was Chiklis' worst acting. He's still awesome but something about this particular show seemed forced. Maybe it was just the mood I was in.

I was kinda surprised that Kavanaugh went down so easily. We might not have seen the last of him because this will look really bad for Aceveda and the Chief in terms of PR.

I'm also looking forward to the choices Claudette has to make as the mounting violence in Farmington increases the pressure to unleash Vic and the Strike Team. So far she has proven to be a rock morally. More likely is that Aceveda feels heat and forces Claudette's hand with Vic.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 PM

I like the Aceveda character, and after being so strong in the first 3 seasons, it seems like they're really looking for excuses to keep him around the barn. I'm not sure it all fits, but I'm glad to have him showing up.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Another great episode, as usual. We've seen the last of Kavanagh, I think. Seems like they wanted you to believe that Ronnie is starting to suspect something is up, that Guardo isn't "right" for killing Lem. Maybe I'm reading too much into the interaction b/w Ronnie and Shane this week, time will tell. It is going to be interesting to see when the light comes on for Vic, they can't have him going around the whole season in a rage that Guardo killed Lem. There is going to come a time when he is portrayed as suspecting Shane. And if Shane suspects that Vic suspects, what does Shane do about it. Try to waste Vic? That I want to see.

Great show, too bad there is going to be only one more season after this, per Shawn Ryan, creator.