Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Showdown Scenario where bluffer does not want to show

I will just table my hand the first time if the pot isn't large. If it's a valuable hand or the guy pulls this crap alot on the river, I have no problem letting the guy know he still has a decision to make.

"Muck or show please."

When you verbalize it the people who do it habitually will often quit doing it when your in a pot with them because they don't like there behavior being pointed out at the table.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would hold onto my hand until forced to show it

[/ QUOTE ]

Great you just held up the game and made the donkey feel bad....wise tactics.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:50 AM

if the guy says "nice call" or "I missed" just show your damn hand, and take the pot. why the hell do you feel the need to embarrass him. You're not going to learn anything by seeing his hand that you don't already know. If he's running an angle just go ahead and let him pull it off once.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Muck or show please."

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if just once I'd see a dealer say this, instead of sitting there getting frustrated and not taking control of the game.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 AM

I've seen that plenty of times, to the point the dealer was yelling at the guy. I didn't have to invoke IWTSTH because 2 or 3 other people at the table did.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Muck or show please."

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if just once I'd see a dealer say this, instead of sitting there getting frustrated and not taking control of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not uncommon at all. Happened to me a couple days ago as I held 55 and called a bet on the river with nothing to improve my hand. I then just sat and waited for my opponent to show. (I was uninclined to show the whole table I thought I had a read on the guy and that I'll sometimes call bets with crap. Usually I'm calling with a real hand and don't mind showing, but this was just one of those times if the guy flipped over a winner I just didn't wanna let folks see what I'd played to the river.) He waved his cards a little. Dealer doesn't do the usual "somebody please show" thing, he turns to the guy who bet and says "you bet, he called, turn your cards over or fold them". He turned over ace-high. So yeah, I held up the game a couple seconds and had to show anyway, but because the dealer didn't mess around it wasn't any more than that couple seconds.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM

If I'm in a cardroom where I don't have to show if he mucks I'll wait for him to muck his hand.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm in a cardroom where I don't have to show if he mucks I'll wait for him to muck his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too at 5/10 NL and up; lower, I'll show to keep things moving.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if the guy says "nice call" or "I missed" just show your damn hand, and take the pot. why the hell do you feel the need to embarrass him. You're not going to learn anything by seeing his hand that you don't already know. If he's running an angle just go ahead and let him pull it off once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree if you just sat down into the game and you don't know the player you get an idea of the range of hands he plays. What if he raised preflop and he turns over something like 2-4 S (I've seen it) that is valuable.

I say "I paid to see that hand, I called please show it". In Montana any hand that goes to the River ANY player may request to see.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Played a hand at Horseshoe-Tunica where it was a 3-way stall-fest of guys not wanting to show.

Board was something like 54KJ9.

3 guys all staring at each other not wanting to show.
Dealer finally forced each of them to turn their cards over but it took a little while.
First two guys had 32.
the 100-year-old guy on the button quickly turned over 63 and took it down with the 2nd nut low.