Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Face-to-face with incumbent HoR candidate

Thank you for the trip report. Sounds like you handled it perfectly. The fact that this was not the first time he heard about this is encouraging.

It sounds like his son might be a Stars donk [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

While it wasn't a fundraiser, do not be surprised if you get something in the mail next election cycle asking for your support [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Nice work.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad these Congressmen are hearing about this, I am motivated to make a few more phone calls now!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:14 PM

Based on his and Allyson Schwartz's invocation of the "states rights" argument in favor of the law, I can only come to one conclusion: The slots lobby convinced all of the PA lawmakers (I think all but one that voted in the HoR voted Yes) to support the legislation.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 PM

glad he got to hear about it, hopefully next election time he'll be working on someones campaign who can make a difference [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He's behind by a decent amount in most polls, but he could still win. We shall see.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
glad he got to hear about it, hopefully next election time he'll be working on someones campaign who can make a difference [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

He's behind by a decent amount in most polls, but he could still win. We shall see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Throughout the night, he was down ~2%, but it looks like the last 50 or so precincts to report were strongly Gerlach, and he pulled it out:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/e..._house/PA.html (District 6)

I was thinking, if he won, to send a follow-up letter regarding our conversation, congratulating him on his win, and more fully fleshing out my opinion.

jb
Old 11-08-2006, 12:17 PM

I know this isn't of any use now, but you might have asked your state rep candidate what he thought of adding table games to the slot parlors at some point, or of legalizing online poker in Pennsylvania.

I spoke to a state rep at the York Fair, and his opinion was that table games are inevitable. He thought W. Va. would add the games "the instant" Pa. opened their slots parlors. He said it would be "an arms race."
Old 11-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Absolutely follow up - mention where you met him and the conversation, especially about his son's comment. If you meet him again in the future (hmmm, about 18 months when he's running for re-election), then you can try and connect with him again. Personal engagement is what it is all about. Good work. Keep it up. Let us know if he responds.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely follow up - mention where you met him and the conversation, especially about his son's comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sent my follow-up. Prompt... I know.

I was going to paste it here, but I copied over my copy-and-paste buffer (I just sent him a message through his website), so I don't have it anymore. Anyway, my main point was that since Gerlach serves on the Financial Services committee, he should work with Chairman Frank on repealing/scaling back the UIGEA.

[ QUOTE ]
Let us know if he responds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.

jb
Old 03-31-2007, 07:11 PM

Just wanted to say you did a great job. Maybe you could email the critical parts of this thread to the PPA . . .