Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: My new life - poker free!!!

Dire excellent replys that deserve answers.

1. I am a student with plenty of money saved up for the next couple of months. So making money is not an issue, I dont need to work a lame job.

2. I should be grad this semi. and have my dream job lined up at nike doing advanced testing on golf club materials. So I will not mind going to work because it is something i am truly passionate about.

If I was not in such a prime position to excel I might think otherwise, but throwing it all away to make a couple k now seems like a bad idea.

I took pride in making the right decisions at the tables why not carry that over to my life's work. Like I said this is not for everyone i am just venting my frustration and relief after realizing the negative effect poker had on MY life.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is just another part of your life. If you can't balance it with everything else, I'm not sure what makes you think you'll be able to balance whatever other 'issues' you may run into in your life in order to achieve your grand 'life dream'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING.

BALANCE is the key/
Old 03-18-2007, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is just another part of your life. If you can't balance it with everything else, I'm not sure what makes you think you'll be able to balance whatever other 'issues' you may run into in your life in order to achieve your grand 'life dream'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. It doesn't have to be ALL or NOTHING.

BALANCE is the key/

[/ QUOTE ]

from my original post

There is def. a healthy balance but I never found it.

This was not about everyone just my experience but thanks for repeating something that has been said twice already in this thread.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Pre-med major at BU dropped out first year
2. finance major at NYU dropped out 2nd year
3. electrical engineer at BU dropped out 3rd year
4. final year at MIT for computer science masters dropped out

[/ QUOTE ]

van wilder
Old 03-18-2007, 10:55 AM

If that's how you ran your life, yes, you had a problem. Congrats on beating it, but you still have to work on the weed thing, which apparently isn't too "liberal" for you.

Gambling's appeal is universal and has been around forever. If it were something new, the Bible and Koran and other religious texts would not have anything to say about it.

By the way, promiscuous sex can transmit STD's. As with gambling, sex has a universal appeal, but few would suggest that you stop engaging in sexual activity. Drinking intoxicants, ditto.

In honesty, I do think it's rather sad to see young people drop out of school in order to pursue a career in poker. Failing to achieve some sort of advanced degree will be one of the biggest regrets of their lives, I would bank on that.

Anyway, good luck to you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM

One other pet peeve of mine:

I don't know who made the rules - Adam Smith or Alan Greenspan or Ayn Rand - but one of the cardinal rules of life is money, $$$. Trying asking someone out on a date without it. Try buying a car, house, clothes without money. Can't do it.

Poker is about making money, not playing cards. You'll always have to balance time spent in activities designed to make you money with time spent with loved ones, sleeping, eating, etc.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Congratulations on making what looks like a sound and rational decision. That's no always as easy to do as it should be.

And good luck with school and starting a new career.

--klez
Old 03-18-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one of the cardinal rules of life is money, $$$

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to think that life is a lot deeper than that. Life to me is about doing what makes you happy. Unfortunately like you said sometimes money and happiness are directly linked.

But that is not always the case. Peace core members, Soup Kitchen Workers, Public school teachers, general volunteers and many others didn't choose there career just for the money. There life's work is dedicated toward improving the lives of others. Now im sure my job will not be nearly as noble as the ones mentioned above but at least at the end of the day I will have accomplished something other than just make money.

In addition-
Id like to thank all of those people that support my personal choice and wish everyone else the best in whatever they do.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 AM

Fair enough, but it sounds like weed was more of a problem for you than poker.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Sevenhigh, I think you made a great choice. Poker does take up a ton of time and mental energy. I took a break for a little while myself and it was actualy really nice. I think you'll enjoy you freetime and you will certainly feel less stress.

Also, not playing 100nl for a few months is not going to cost you that much money anyways. It probably much more valuable to enjoy the rest of your college experience then go make 50,60,70k w/e a year and forget about being cr'd for $20 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]