Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2006, 04:13 PM

Default SB vs. BB, $650 sat. NOTHING TO DO WITH JJ

First hand of a $615+35 sat. Obviously no reads.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) converter

Button (t2500)
Hero (t2500)
BB (t2500)
UTG (t2500)
MP1 (t2500)
MP2 (t2500)
CO (t2500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t120) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

Turn: (t280) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t720</font>

Your move and thoughts about the hand so far.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: SB vs. BB, $650 sat. NOTHING TO DO WITH JJ

All in and dont even think about this.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

i think i would cr flop to 200. once you get to turn i want to get everything in.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM

chance of having a higher flush are probably about equal to having a lower flush, not to mention the many other possibilities (AdTx, set, two pair, he's really bad/bluffing). Stick it in.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
chance of having a higher flush are probably about equal to having a lower flush, not to mention the many other possibilities (AdTx, set, two pair, he's really bad/bluffing). Stick it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that the combination of the PF raise, plus this kind of strange mini-rereraise is an indication of a better than 2p here on this board (and most probably the chances of him having a better flush are much higher than a lower, with the PF raise, IMO). The problem with this kind of move made by him is that it is pretty much begging for action, more often than not, especially since he has zero read on me, so my calling PF+flop and C/R turn must mean at least some amount of strength, although it is HU.

But of course I pushed.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But of course I pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outcome?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:37 PM

You're obviously in a no fold situation so are you asking if you should bet a portion of the flop or push in?

I don't like the check cal on the flop one bit. If a non diamond J-A comes than you probably still feel commited with only one card to come. Plus a scare card might scare him away and lose your action. Get the money in while you have a monster. If he has two black QQ lets say, their might be a chance he gets away from this hand once the third diamond hits or if an ace or king hits. Go for a check raise on the flop and hope he comes back over the top. If not atleast you put more money in on the flop and may have made him feel committed to the pot now.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:00 PM

It looks to me like the BB is overplaying an overpair (probably AA or KK since his bet on the flop was only 2/3 of the pot.) I wouldn't push here this early, but I can't fault you too much if you do. My line would be to flat call his turn raise, then see if the river pairs the board. You might want to ask Adam Friedman (see "05 WSOP Main Event) what he would do here.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're obviously in a no fold situation so are you asking if you should bet a portion of the flop or push in?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not folding. Unless I have a very strong read on villain, and it's not the case since it's the first hand of the tourney. However, stacks are definitely deep enough to take all sorts of lines.

[ QUOTE ]
Go for a check raise on the flop and hope he comes back over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, C/R'ing the flop is a valid option, but I'm not exactly thrilled if he comes back over the top. Of course there are problematic scare cards that might hit the turn when I only call the flop bet, but many are very good for me and might commit him to pay more while I still have control of the pot (I'm out of position here). Also, I don't think it will be particularly easy for him to lay down QQ on a diamond turn here, when I only call the flop. It's HU after all.