Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 AM

Default Stars $55 TPTK vs Good Player and Big Turn Bet

Converted by PokerGeek
PokerStars NL Hold'em Tournament - 10/20 Blinds (9 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 1: BB (T1430)
Seat 2: UTG (T2280)
Seat 3: UTG+1 (T1480)
Seat 4: MP1 (T1290)
Seat 5: MP2 (T1575)
Seat 6: LP (T1440)
Seat 7: CO (T1180)
Seat 8: Button (Hero) (T1310)
Seat 9: Small blind (T1525)

Villain in this hand is flaviano, a very good player, with great stats. He seemed to be very aggressive. I didn't really know what to make of the min-raise from UTG, but since he is a good player, I thought that it prob was a hand he wanted to see a flop with, but didn't want to get raised (ie, suited connector; suited ace; possibly a small pair.) I really discounted a big pair, but who knows.

His min-raise of my flop stab seemed to be std if he sensed weakness, but what's the deal with the turn lead...how often does he have a hand and how often is he trying to push me off a decent but not great hand here? I couldn't figure out too many big hands here that he could have given his preflop and flop action.

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG raises (40), <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls (40), Small blind folds, BB folds

Flop: (T110) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets (60), UTG raises (120), Hero calls (60)

Turn: (T350) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG bets (400), Hero ...?

Final Pot: T350

Results not shown
Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Stars $55 TPTK vs Good Player and Big Turn Bet

i'd bet 80 on the flop, looks way stronger than 60. its early on so you can muck to the check/minraise espec against a very good player.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:38 AM

fold to the reraise
as you said he might have a small pair here
and hitted a set your bet on the flop shows strenght and he might reraise because he thinks you have the J

i would check the flop here
fold to the reraise

his turn bet is strange you have him covered so finding out what kind of plays he makes from utg is valuable to know specially in the start of the tourney
i would shove the turn here
he overbets the pot
like he doesnt want you to call wich actually shows little bit of weakness on his side
i might just call here or even push
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 AM

This flop is pretty ideal for a c-bet, so I'd be suspicious when he doesn't make one. He isn't trying to push you off your hand here. Check the flop, fold the flop, fold the turn.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 AM

Villain played this very awkward, IMO.
Surely a type of FPS.

I re-raise PF to 120. I hate min-PF-raises, it's either aces or something they really want to see the flop with cheap. Either case I certainly want to find out where I'm at with AQo.

The flop... I think villain puts you on JQ, KJ or something like that and wants to exploit your hit hand... the min raises were just a way to keep you in until he thinks you hit then he pounces. This would fit slow played aces or a set -- but as awkward as this hand was played I'm sticking to aces.