Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Restaurant start-up

[ QUOTE ]
There are probably better businesses you can start besides a restaurant aren't there? What are your goals for owning a restaurant? The downside is owing a lot of money. The upside of a restaurant isn't that great. You'll make some money, but not a ton. If you don't have a lot of experience, why not look into something that will result in higher margins?
Please don't just open a restaurant because you are dreaming of these Doner Kebabs. Thats definitely the wrong reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I partially agree with this. It really depends a lot on the type of restaurant you want to open though. If you're talking more about a fast-food type of restaurant, which it sounds like you are, then you have a lot more flexibility than if you're talking about a casual dining place. A casual dining place takes more hands-on management from the owner, especially during the first several years. Fast food places will take a lot of hands-on mangement too, but over time they can become a lot more automated than the casual dining places.

The point is that a fast food type business can be a more pure hands-off, absentee business eventuall. A casual dining place probably won't ever get trully absentee. If you don't really love the idea of running a restaurant, then fast food is probably for you.

But its a plain fact that the restaurant industry doesn't generate high margins. There is just too much competition.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:07 PM

I'm aware of all the problems with the restaurant industry and a bar would be a great idea if our town hadnt been saturated with new openings in the past two years. I really am looking for something that like you said, can be a bit more hands off and self sustaining awhile after start-up. I feel this idea is unique enough to work because other specialty restuarants have thrived in our area and serves the market in my town very well
Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 PM

Yes, the hands off point is a good - if you make it a goal from the beginning to eventually franchise, things will be much easier when you do. Good documentation of controls is key. If I were going to start a business like this, I would definitely keep franchising in mind. Yes, it's a ways down the road, but it's how you will eventually make the business a huge success if it happens.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm aware of all the problems with the restaurant industry and a bar would be a great idea if our town hadnt been saturated with new openings in the past two years. I really am looking for something that like you said, can be a bit more hands off and self sustaining awhile after start-up. I feel this idea is unique enough to work because other specialty restuarants have thrived in our area and serves the market in my town very well

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, and I didn't mean to imply that there isn't money in restaurants. There is a LOT of money in restaurants - a whole lot. Its just that where ever there is a lot of money there are a lot of people trying to grab it. Restaurants don't have huge profit margins so you've got to be confident that you can make a lot of sales. And you clearly are confident that these kabobs will go over well. I say go for it.

By the way, what is a doner kabob?