Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Am I being brushed aside?

[ QUOTE ]
drove a geo prism in high school. It shook at speeds above 55mph. You know what I did with it? Nothing. It was a POS but it really wasn't service affecting and died after I went to college b/c my dad is a dick and drove it around w/ the oil light on.

You also never mentioned what kind of car you have...?

I'm also in the Million and D10 camp...find another mechanic...he knows you play poker, is he a friend of the family? If so, does he ever hook you up on prices?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a 1998 Toyota Corolla, and has run me about a grand in maintenance and repairs in the past couple of months. I took it to Midas for a free brake inspection today, and they think I should trade it in while the trading's still good, because they believe the shake is coming from the transmission axle(s?), which will run me a great deal of money in the near future. They also think the front brakes are heating up more than they should, causing the squeaking noises I hear. He thinks my new $175 rotors are not so good, maybe. I have no idea.

I'm bringing it back to the original guy Thursday, who said he could at least lubricate the brakes to try to kill the squeal. No, I don't get any hookup on prices. I just went to him a few times when I was in grad school, and other than charging me an arm and a leg for two rotors, I actually think this is the most trustworthy shop I know of. But then, who can ever really tell?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Am I being brushed aside?

Have them rotate the tires back to their original positons and go for a drive. I would expect this to "solve" the problem more often than not.

On the squeal problem, aftermarket pads suck. I always get mine from the dealer and NEVER run into noise problems with them. If they can't solve the noise problem, ask them to install dealer pads for you. If lubricating the backs of the pads doesn't work (it won't) let them install another set of Midas pads and when it starts squeaking again ask for OEM parts. It will solve the issue.