Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Your five favorite games of all time?

1)Tie Fighter
2)Oblivion
3)Final Fantasy 7
4)Baldur's Gate 2 + Expansion
5)Half Life

Honorable mention just because it barely gets eeked out of my top five but I still think its a great game:

Rise of Nations

I'm dissapointed I don't see Tie Fighter on more people's lists. That game was the [censored]. You are the Empire. You work for the bad guys. You get to beat up on Rogue Squadron (Luke's squadron for the non-nerdy). The story was great.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 AM

I'm not surprised it hasn't gotten more love. TIE Fighter is too old school, and console games have gotten more play by people here than PC games. That game was ridiculously fun, though, and it was good for many hours of entertainment. There were a whole lot of missions you had to complete to finish it.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 AM

geormiet, you are the man for listing zelda: link's awakening; it's my number one of all time. this game is overlooked by gamers and also many people who claim to be big zelda fans have never even played this one. if you have never played it and you're a zelda fan, you must play this game through.

anyway, my list is

5. Tecmo Super Bowl
4. Super Mario 64 DS (same game as original just with 30 added stars)
3. GoldenEye 64
2. Warcraft III + frozen throne
1. Zelda: Link's Awakening
Old 12-21-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not surprised it hasn't gotten more love. TIE Fighter is too old school, and console games have gotten more play by people here than PC games. That game was ridiculously fun, though, and it was good for many hours of entertainment. There were a whole lot of missions you had to complete to finish it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only played X-Wing on a Mac, and I got a Thrustmaster joystick specifically for it. I remember not being able to beat the first "real" mission. I was barely able to pass the training levels. I'd never been a flying game expert, despite being pretty good at driving games ([censored] you third dimension)!

Another game that may very well be fun is Robotech for the PS2, but the learning curve was pretty sick. Even after I felt like I could control things pretty well, I still had no idea what I was really supposed to be doing on the missions.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
is everyone such a large nerd that they haven't played any of the new xbox360 sports games such as madden or fifa... these games have really reached an extraordinary level

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning Eleven series >>>>>> FIFA

And the current Madden on 360 doesn't even compare to the fun-ness of TSB or the innovation breakthrough when Madden 94 came out for SNES.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Winning Eleven series >>>>>> FIFA

And the current Madden on 360 doesn't even compare to the fun-ness of TSB or the innovation breakthrough when Madden 94 came out for SNES.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft
Old 12-21-2006, 06:16 AM

Default starbird needs Kadorto now

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wizardry (anyone remember Wizardry?), 'cause I wrote it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious? That was a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW. That's insane. I frickin' LOVED that game when I was a kid. Trip Report on writing that game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he wrote it for real, and didn't "invent post-its," assuming that everyone forgot about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's lying I say we Tiltowait him!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets bad I'll just Malor my ass outta Dodge...

Okay, so I might have exaggerated a little. Wizardry I ("Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord") was written by a couple of friends of mine in college. A handful of us were dedicated playtesters for the first two scenarios, and three of us were hired to write the third one (Legacy of Llylgamyn). This was more a matter of level, monster, and item design than actual coding because the underlying engine was already in place.

This is awesome. Who remembers a 25-year-old computer game?

It ran on the Apple ][, so it had to fit in 48K of memory. IIRC, Wizardry was the first home computer game to display a "three-dimensional" POV of the maze you were running around in. Remember those wireframe graphics? That stuff was pretty damn cool in 1981.

It's a kick to know that it hasn't been forgotten. Somewhere I still have the serial #1 floppy of Wizardry II ("Knight of Diamonds").
Old 12-21-2006, 06:35 AM

Default Re: starbird needs Kadorto now

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wizardry (anyone remember Wizardry?), 'cause I wrote it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You serious? That was a great game.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW. That's insane. I frickin' LOVED that game when I was a kid. Trip Report on writing that game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he wrote it for real, and didn't "invent post-its," assuming that everyone forgot about the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's lying I say we Tiltowait him!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets bad I'll just Malor my ass outta Dodge...

Okay, so I might have exaggerated a little. Wizardry I ("Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord") was written by a couple of friends of mine in college. A handful of us were dedicated playtesters for the first two scenarios, and three of us were hired to write the third one (Legacy of Llylgamyn). This was more a matter of level, monster, and item design than actual coding because the underlying engine was already in place.

This is awesome. Who remembers a 25-year-old computer game?

It ran on the Apple ][, so it had to fit in 48K of memory. IIRC, Wizardry was the first home computer game to display a "three-dimensional" POV of the maze you were running around in. Remember those wireframe graphics? That stuff was pretty damn cool in 1981.

It's a kick to know that it hasn't been forgotten. Somewhere I still have the serial #1 floppy of Wizardry II ("Knight of Diamonds").

[/ QUOTE ]

I never even played the game and remember it. I believe it was revolutionary.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:00 AM

1. Ocarina of Time
I have played through this game an insane amount of times and it's always fun.

2. GTA Vice City
Nothing makes you feel better than going around killing innocent people. For whatever reason this game was WAY better to me than GTA3/San Andreas.

3. Sega Bass Fishing
I like fishing. I like video games. This is by far the best combination of the 2 I've ever played.

4. Sonic 3 + Knuckles
My first system was a Genesis and Sonic was my favorite franchise at the time and is still one of my favorites. This was by far the best of the 16bit generation.

5. Pokemon (the normal kind, not the crappy spinoffs)
More possibilities than someone could explore in a lifetime of playing are available in these games. Fantastic single player and fantastic multiplayer.

I have to win for most random assortment of game types. There are a lot of other games/franchises I really like like the Rush racing games (SF Rush, Rush 2049, etc), Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Banjo Kazooie, Mario Kart, Link's Awakening but the above ones stick out in my mind for whatever reason.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only played X-Wing on a Mac, and I got a Thrustmaster joystick specifically for it. I remember not being able to beat the first "real" mission. I was barely able to pass the training levels.

[/ QUOTE ]
Defense of the Corvette class Korolev, right?
That was damn hard. I managed to finish it with quite a portion of luck, but after that imba mission it really got much better - yet still very challenging.

BTW: Also got that Thrustmaster (Mark II), had it imported from the US (to Germany) for quite a steep price. Never regretted that investment.