Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Cash Game players - do you set a limit?

When I run good I TRY to play longer but it usually doesn't happen. When I run bad I can play 24 hours straight, lol. I don't set a limit for myself if I lose x I quit. If I think I play good and my opponents are bad I just keep playing, otherwise I take a break / call it a day. Usually this happens when I feel the tilt coming.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM

Im definately not looking to be a pro...just looking to make at least PT money,maybe a few hundo a week from and looking at the best ways to do that.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Upside -theres no point when it all comes together why stop?

I have time based limits for seesions but will extend them if running goot and/or tables are goot but no too long, 4hrs+ I get a bit burnt out.

Likewise I quit today after 100 hands too many TAGs per table.
If I can't find decent tables or am starting to tilt I will often just close it all down.

I do have a max -4 buyin WARNING LIMIT for a day and have hit it twice before -once I played on to robusto the other time I continued to spew so I just stopped.

Just got to know yourself and know when its favourable/ unfavourable to play (both yourself and the games).
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 AM

I always quit when one of the following happens:

1) My wife yells for the 5th time
2) I go on tilt
3) I get tired
4) I win all the money on the site and there are no more opponents left.

Sadly, #4 has yet to happen.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 AM

IMO, you should never quit if you are playing well and you have the time to continue, no matter how much you are up or down.

Conversely, when you start to tilt you should stop immediately...when I get sucked out on in a big pot or run a stupid bluff and get stacked, if I sense the slightest bit of tilt I just close all my windows right there without waiting for BBs or anything before I do anything stupid. That may sound dumb but if I sit there and try to blow it off after some stackages it gets a lot harder to stop when you start tilting even worse.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:46 PM

My limit stop loss involves getting up and leaving the computer immediately after a big stacking.

I go do something else for 5 mins and chill - then I come back to the pooter and look through the hand I lost to see if I played badly.

If I played it bad I tend to call it a day - however if I feel OK not tired and not tilted I carry on playing.

I have pulled monster sessions (~20 hours in the past) after a bad start and fought my way back to a positive number for the day but I think that this is generally a bad idea as it kills me for some time afterwards.

I also have a 1 hour timer and go take a 5 min break every hour (I never used to do this either and I find it helps me stay much more focussed when I am playing)
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im definately not looking to be a pro...just looking to make at least PT money,maybe a few hundo a week from and looking at the best ways to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first thing you have to understand is that you don't make money playing poker in a linear fashion, like you would at a job.

I'm far from a pro but do make a little side money playing cards. I've had months where it didn't seem I booked a single winning session. I've had weeks where it seemed like I couldn't lose.

Buy pokertracker (or get it through PSO or something). Play lots of hands. As you examine your stats, you'll be able to improve your play and review hands easily. Play an absurd amount and you'll start to discover how much you beat which games.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:19 PM

if im badly stuck, ill play for days on end if i can, i hate logging off down. hate it.

if im like break even/slightly down/up whatever, ill play for usually 1-3 hrs at a time and then log off when i start getting disinterested.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:54 PM

My stop loss is when I feel my play deteriorating due to an opponent who seems to "have my number" or from a bad beat.

I don't set stop-wins.

I usually play between 30 mins to 2 hours at a time 6 tabling. I take at least a 30 minute break between sessions, away from the computer. Read a 2p2 book, watch some TV, do homework, whatever.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do ppl make a living or a partial living at it then? I mean,you have to set some kind of a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]
in order to play the micro limits as a pro u need to play a ton of hands to off set varience as much as possible. and also i think it is important to be able to make a lot more then u need. i personally dont "need" a ton so if i run crummy for a week it wont effect me much. i go to college and if i run crappy and dont have as much excess cash i dont do as many "balla" things as i normally would.

the key to being "pro" tho is extreme bank roll management. u cant take risks when it comes to bankroll. 20 minimum but i feel a lot better with 30 buy ins.