Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Re: New Hill article

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we're entering the 4th Quarter with a 20-17 lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate (and everyone): I really appreciate all the effort in keeping us informed, but we don't need a new sports or all-in preflop poker analogy every time there's the slightest bit of new information. It's extremely gay and irritating. If you want to speculate, a simple % estimate is all that's needed.

Maybe it's just this forum that gets me all worked up and ready to snap, but if I hear one more debate about: Looks like we're all in with AK vs JT! No, it's more like we have TT vs AK! No, it's more like we have AA vs JJ! I WILL START KICKING PUPPIES.

[/ QUOTE ]
bah humbug
Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: New Hill article

Guys - Can we please not get into every thought you have about the forum in this sticky post?

I am guilty of screwing up the last one, but if you want to say something not directly relevant please try and keep it in or post it on another thread.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Update - Wednesday September 27 --- Bush Hill visit ?

CNN this morning had President Bush coming to the Hill to push for legislation andsend the 15 Senate Republicans facing re-election off with a cheer. The footage showed Frist walking in with him.

What is the general consensus, did Bush say :

1. "Give Frist/Hassert whatever they want" or

2. 'Frist/Hassert, stop screwing around, we need some damn bills passed ... get your licks in during the lame duck session"

or

3. "Nrog told me to get my ass down here and stop this nonsense"

Any word ?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 AM

No word from the visit yet on my end - Other than the major traffic complaints he caused [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Don't want to get ahead of ourselves but interested in what Berge/K think will happen during the lame duck. I realize the elections could determine some of the action but could you layout some scenarios or is it anybody’s guess right now
Old 09-28-2006, 10:57 AM

Lets wait until next week to discuss the lame duck. There is plenty of more immediate business to discuss while the House and Senate are still in session.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 AM

Something significant we should be concerned about? I thought there was only a small chance of anything happening now before the elections. I realize we'll have plenty of time to discuss the lame duck ....was just curious.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Update - Wednesday September 27 --- Shelly Berkley on House Floor

One Minute Speech by Rep. Shelley Berkley this AM; transcript

28 September 2006

United States House of Representatives

Madam Speaker, Congress is waiting for the Republican leadership to bring the Department of Defense Authorization bill to the floor for a vote. So what's holding it up? Believe it or not, the Republican leadership wants to add a provision to the defense bill to help the troops, no, to add to their salaries, no, to help us buy equipment for them so they'll have state-of-the-art equipment, no, it's a provision to ban internet gaming. And if you guessed that, you're absolutely right, a ban on internet gaming in the defense bill.

How ridiculous is that? At a time when we have brave American men and women fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Republican leadership is more worried about Americans playing poker online than in protecting our troops in the field. The Republicans talk about patriotism and supporting our fighting men and women, but when it comes to voting for our nation's defense department, they're more interested in banning internet gaming than they are in providing what our troops need in the field of battle.

This is a disgrace. Americans should be outraged and we should demand we pass this department of defense authorization without any other additions that have nothing to do with defending our brave men and women. I yield back.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One Minute Speech by Rep. Shelley Berkley this AM; transcript

28 September 2006

United States House of Representatives

Madam Speaker, Congress is waiting for the Republican leadership to bring the Department of Defense Authorization bill to the floor for a vote. So what's holding it up? Believe it or not, the Republican leadership wants to add a provision to the defense bill to help the troops, no, to add to their salaries, no, to help us buy equipment for them so they'll have state-of-the-art equipment, no, it's a provision to ban internet gaming. And if you guessed that, you're absolutely right, a ban on internet gaming in the defense bill.

How ridiculous is that? At a time when we have brave American men and women fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Republican leadership is more worried about Americans playing poker online than in protecting our troops in the field. The Republicans talk about patriotism and supporting our fighting men and women, but when it comes to voting for our nation's defense department, they're more interested in banning internet gaming than they are in providing what our troops need in the field of battle.

This is a disgrace. Americans should be outraged and we should demand we pass this department of defense authorization without any other additions that have nothing to do with defending our brave men and women. I yield back.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could actually be an excellent strategic point for the Democrats to be making for this election. Great stuff.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Rats. Guys ... why is she talking about the IG bill today?

I mean .... after we "know" that it won't be attached to the DoD bill, why is this being brought up?

Is it to score a political point? Or is it still a big problem?

I thout we were worried about attachment to another bill now and not the DoD.

Am I lost?
Closed Thread