Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Aces in early position 10/20 Omaha/8

[ QUOTE ]
I think to make enough money to earn a decent living playing Omaha-8, you'd have to either play pot-limit or find some juicy private high-limit games.

As recreation, limit-Omaha-8 is fun, but I don't think you can make much of a living playing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!

I think that's a first for you Buzz! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM

the bike has a 6-12 08 kill loaded with fish that can't even read the board
Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the bike has a 6-12 08 kill loaded with fish that can't even read the board

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think to make enough money to earn a decent living playing Omaha-8, you'd have to either play pot-limit or find some juicy private high-limit games.

As recreation, limit-Omaha-8 is fun, but I don't think you can make much of a living playing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant you can't make a living playing
live Limit O8. Which could be true...

Obviously, easy to make a living playing online L08.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WRONG!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, easy to make a living playing online L08.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the 4/8 with a half-kill at Foxwoods? GOLD MINE!

Although I prefer online, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd think the 15/30/45 O8/stud8 in AC should provide a nice living. Although the stud portion is far juicier (those people have no clue)
Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WRONG!

[/ QUOTE ]Gnu - My apologies. I stand corrected.

If you are earning what you consider a decent living playing limit-Omaha-8, and it sounds to me like you are, more power to you - and I was wrong.

Let me just make it clear that to me, "earning a decent living" would mean earning enough to support a wife and family in what would probably be considered an upper-middle class life style.

I can see how to do that, and I did it.

But playing poker, I'd have to average winning more than five hundred bucks a day, five days a week, fifty weeks a year. Obviously it's possible to win that much playing poker, but I could not win that much playing limit-Omaha-8 250 days per year in ring games.

I've had big days and big weeks playing limit-Omaha-8, but I can't average five hundred bucks a day for a year, not even in the 6/12 game at the Bike, which Habib and Don think is juicy (and in which I've played and agree is at least sometimes juicy).

But when you consider there are no benefits like medical and dental insurance, paid sick leave, and a retirement package - and you still have to pay federal and state income taxes, even with a guaranteed five hundred bucks a day, two hundred fifty days a year, I think you'd have difficulty sustaining a wife and kids in an upper-middle class lifestyle, at least in my neighborhood (unless you were already wealthy).

I suppose it's all relative.

At any rate, if you are earning what you consider a decent living playing limit Omaha-8, congratulations. My hat is off to you. But it seems to me that if you have the ability to do that well playing limit-Omaha-8, then you also have the ability to earn even more doing something else. That's just my opinion.[ QUOTE ]
I think that's a first for you Buzz!

[/ QUOTE ][img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks for the compliment Gnu, but alas, this is not the first time I've been wrong on this forum, nor probably the last.

Buzz
Old 09-26-2006, 09:31 AM

Hey Buzz:

$500/day? Yoikes! Let's just put it this way:

1. I was making $16/hr working for the man (and was one of the higher paid in my company)

2. I have a wife and neither of us has plans for children

3. I can live comfortably on $500-$1000/week, but I'm fairly frugal

I don't really earn my living playing live O8, since Foxwoods only seems to have the 4/8 with half-kill going and I'd probably like something a bit higher than that.

But online, where I can play 2-4 tables of 10/20 or 15/30, that's just fine.

Earning just 2bb/100 hands means I can make $40-$60/hr fairly easily, which sure as hell beats $16/hr, even if you factor in health insurance and such (plans are to get a high deductible health plan for emergencies, and pay for any of the smaller stuff)

I've been fortunate that last month I made $50/hr and this month I'm doing over $100/hr. If I can continue to consistantly earn $50-$100/hr playing at this level, that would be great. I can pay off our debts and get the hell out of Taxachusetts (where a nice home typically costs 300-400K) and get us down to North Carolina and get a nice home for 150-250K instead.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 AM

Re: Foxwoods 4/8 game:

Played that one for the first time. Used to think that the $5/10 game was license to print money. This one was even better.

Unfortunately, my rather short session had far too many visitations from another meaning of the word "Counterfeit," resulting in a break-even.

But sweet jesus, how can you dislike a game where half the participants don't even know what they're holding?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: Foxwoods 4/8 game:

Played that one for the first time. Used to think that the $5/10 game was license to print money. This one was even better.

Unfortunately, my rather short session had far too many visitations from another meaning of the word "Counterfeit," resulting in a break-even.

But sweet jesus, how can you dislike a game where half the participants don't even know what they're holding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping it's the same case with the O8 tourney during the WPT there.

The HORSE event on Stars was ridiculously soft, bunch of Hold Em monkeys who were pretty weak in the ORSE rotation made it profitable.

Would've rathered to cash for 80 grand instead of 500 bucks, but a win is a win.