Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Why I don\'t tell people I play poker.

[ QUOTE ]
And to the post a few posts above...I had a co-worker (who knows I play poker) talk to me about his "buddies who gamboool a lot". He was going on and on about how they could lose $50-100 and not even care. I casually bring up how I've lost thousands in no time. He never said another word about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to single you out, because other people have said similar things, but why do 2+2ers feel the need to be ****s like this? As annoying as these things can get, at least most of the people are trying to relate to you. There's no need to go and act like you're superior to them because you risk larger amounts of money.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"How can you read people when you play online? You can't see their faces."

[/ QUOTE ]
Delightfully hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not funny. Not in the least. I explain to people why this is not true and no one understands. I get that question so damn often.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"How can you read people when you play online? You can't see their faces."

[/ QUOTE ]
Delightfully hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Not funny. Not in the least. I explain to people why this is not true and no one understands. I get that question so damn often.

[/ QUOTE ]

-webcam
"oh ok, that makes sense"

problem solved
Old 08-25-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you all need to spend a small fraction of your bankroll on a sick watch (or somethin' shiny) and to keep your wardrobe updated with some fresh gear.. If people see you lookin' clean and know you don't work, they will know what the [censored] is up..

If they ask a question about your income, you say "look at me", kinda throw your head back and walk away with an A.C Slater type of strut..

Okay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah!

Just do as I do preppie's, and you'll all be ballin outta control in no time.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And to the post a few posts above...I had a co-worker (who knows I play poker) talk to me about his "buddies who gamboool a lot". He was going on and on about how they could lose $50-100 and not even care. I casually bring up how I've lost thousands in no time. He never said another word about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to single you out, because other people have said similar things, but why do 2+2ers feel the need to be ****s like this? As annoying as these things can get, at least most of the people are trying to relate to you. There's no need to go and act like you're superior to them because you risk larger amounts of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really a 2+2er specific thing. There's a temptation to one-up someone when they're going on about something of that nature. If you were a world champion ping pong player and a guy went on for a while about his cousin, who won a county championship, would you keep silent so they don't feel humbled?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is in the process of them trying to relate to you they are also annoying you. When I have conversations with people I don't like to talk about really stupid basic poker stuff.

I get the online money thing a lot, but you can't buy stuff with it rifght now so it's not real money.

Another one I get a lot is multitabling. OMG you play x tables that's so crazy I can't play even 1.

The other thing is when people are bragging about there $14/ hr office jobs where they sit in a cubicle all day punchining in numbers.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM

One good quality shared by civilians is that they actually like hearing bad beat stories. You can stretch the definition of bad beat pretty far, too. Stories of butchered hands and mild beats for big pots that would invite derision on BBV can be squeezed for a good dose of sympathy from casual players (if not mom).
Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 PM

this thread is solid gold.

Have you guys ever had an intelligent conversation about online poker with someone who has never played before? I've had a few and I was very impressed with them afterwards.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Have you guys ever had an intelligent conversation about online poker with someone who has never played before?

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You know that the house always wins right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I get this one a lot.

As well as "Oh, do you count cards??"