Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: QQ very early in stars million gtd

[ QUOTE ]
Would you take the same line with AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently would. But you should still bet here, not because you think you have the best hand, but because it's cheaper to find out now than over 2 streets.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:32 PM

I agree this is a good spot for a 1/3 to 1/2 pot size bet
Old 08-13-2006, 07:34 PM

That's why you keep the bet small and that's why they give you plenty of chips to start with, a 100-150 chip bet isn't going to hurt you to much here
Old 08-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Ok, I am going to disagree with everyone else here. I think you played the hand perfectly, and betting the flop is overrated. How is betting the flop going to get you information? Suppose you bet the flop and get raised... are you getting raised because they have the king or are they making a move? If you bet the flop and get called --- are they slow-playing a King or calling with an underpair to your QQ hoping it is good?

This is a typical way-ahead way-behind situation. The only turn card that will worry you is an ace. Checking here keeps the pot small. Betting just inflates the pot without giving you any real information (unless they all fold, and how does that help you?).

Note how your checking the flop gave you information. The turn bet was definitely a call, then when the button flat-calls behind you, that should raise a red flag.

But the clincher is a river bet. It is unlikely the EP better has less than trip Kings. He makes a sizable bet after both opponents have shown strength. This is a bet designed to soak up as much money as possible. He doesn't think he is beat. He wants you to call. The fold is absolutely correct.

All you lost post-flop on this hand was a single half-pot bet. Yet you got the information you needed. If nobody had had a King in this situation, you would have probably made more money this way by helping them think their hand might be good.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:23 PM

Betting the flop here w/ 4 players to the flop is suicide. Out of 6 cards only one king kills us (KQ's got us by the nuts) and its early, I would go into c/f mode and be pissed my queens got such a crappy flop. You've got to lay down these big hands on unfavorable flops.

For those that advocate a bet on the flop, do we check if we get a caller? Because on a flop like this I'll float w/ air to try to take it away on the turn if it's folded to me. I also fold to that turn bet, esp if we aren't going to stay on a big river bet.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:34 PM

Sorry for hi-jacking but can I ask a question on how it should be played heads up?
Had a very similar hand in an early tourney on Full Tilt. Blinds at 15/30 - Stacks at 1500
I'm in the BB with QQ
3 Late limpers
I raise to 180
C/O calls
Flop KK8
I froze, and decided to check
c/o made a small bet of 60
I decided to mini-raise and represent AK
He mini-raised me.

Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2006, 03:40 PM

There's no way I'd fold to that river bet.

Up to this point, BB has bet like he either has a K or a PP (88-TT are certainly possible). Up to the river, I wouldn't put the button on anything more than a draw.

Without the button in the pot, you are getting more than 2:1 on the river call. You don't know if button is coming along, but I would feel safe saying that at least 33% of the time here BB has a PP and no K.

Since the button also called the river bet I'd say it's likely at least one of them had a K, but you had no way to know that the button would call the river bet.