Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder...

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, it might be good regardless of the speed, but if the speed is high, it seems to be essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Shandrax. That is the point.

[ QUOTE ]
I think it will actually increase variance, but potentially increase ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also true, BigA/K. This is a high risk strategy, but it pays off.

[ QUOTE ]
I now get Mason's point that this can be a valid strategy even when deep stacked. Therefore the speed of the tournament isn't the reason why it can be right. However I agree with you that it is more essential with a faster tournament. In a slow tournament you've got the option of waiting for big hands, one way of getting lucky, or playing loosely early hoping to get lucky. Both of these approachs are used successfully by different people. In a fast tournament Snyder's point is that the tight early approach is much less likely to work because the odds of you getting lucky with good cards is less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

One other point: I do not believe for one instant that Dan Harrington has told us all of his secrets, nor will he ever tell us all that he knows. I don't remember where I read the quote from T.J. Cloutier, but I recall that when a player commented to him that based on the strategies he published in his books, he assumed Cloutier to be a very tight player, Cloutier said something like, "Are you kidding? I've got more moves than a mongoose."

There is no way Harrington is kicking butt in as many tournaments as he does without being a lot more of a mongoose than we'll ever know about. One major point I make in my book is that no player who "plays by the book" (and by that I mean any book, mine or anyone else's) will ever have great success. Get what you can from books, but figure out your own moves.