Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 AM

Default Why people start playing poker and why nits play poker?

So - I played 400NL 6max 4 tables and all my opponents were huge nits. Not talking about TAG players, talking about nits. And I started wondering why do these nits even play poker. I mean, nits are risk averse individuals, and this doesn't seem like a good profile for a poker player. How do nits even get involved into the world of poker? I obviusly play poker for money, but I started because I loved the thrill of poker. I love when there is a lot of money in the middle, it is such a wonderful feeling when I shove all my stack into the middle and the guy calls and we gamble for a big pot.

Some of guys here on 2+2 say: "I don't play for the thrill." Well, you might not now, but this is probably why most people start playing poker. My guess. Well, 2+2ers are usually not the kind of nits I am talking about.

So maybe this question is also a question of why people start playing poker. I started because of the thrill of it and possibly most people do because of that. During the progress, some of them lose that feeling, but this is another story. But why do nits start playing poker? I don't see how can they even be interested in such a risky bussinnes.