Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Moving up on Full Tilt - 25NL to 50NL

So I was playing the 25NL and 60NL deep stacked for a while, solely on Full Tilt as that's the only place I have money.

I have now started to play the 50NL, and here's a few things I've noticed. Agree or disagree?

1. I think at this level there are still a lot of fish at the 6max and its easy to isolate and make money off of them, but I feel like there are a lot more competent players. I've seen a lot more TAG's, like the 20/18 type, which I don't necessarily like seeing compared to the 45/5 types. I've come across some players where I've said, wow this guy is really annoying being on my right, where as I never thought anything like that at 25NL. Maybe that's because I am not so good, i dont know.

2. Significantly more 3 betting. At points I get 3 bet light, which I would never see at 25NL. And in general players are much more aggressive with a definite awareness of position.

I'm not saying that beating it is difficult, I just started out and have been doing well so far, I just want to know if people are seeing the same types of things, and is it site based, ie are there people who play on full tilt and other sites at this level who think that full tilt is harder?

Thanks
duke
Old 10-11-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Moving up on Full Tilt - 25NL to 50NL

I agree with alot of your post. It would make sense that eash level you get higher the 3betting ranges widen and the closer your gonna see the vp and pfr stats get to each other with alot less limping.

I believe from my experiences that there are more fish like players at NL100 than NL50. I think more regulars grind the NL50 to build bankrolls/accumulate rakeback. Generally fish that pop on to play some poker IMO are used to live games NL 1/2 with 100 or 200 buyins. They just start out playing NL100 since its for DOLLARS, they dont want to piss around with dimes and quarters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As far as site based, I dont hop around enough to be able to comment on that.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe from my experiences that there are more fish like players at NL100 than NL50. I think more regulars grind the NL50 to build bankrolls/accumulate rakeback. Generally fish that pop on to play some poker IMO are used to live games NL 1/2 with 100 or 200 buyins. They just start out playing NL100 since its for DOLLARS, they dont want to piss around with dimes and quarters. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY interesting concept, can anyone else confirm they've noticed this before reading this?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM

well it would make sense that as you move up people are being more competent players. With the legislation and all the influx of fish who have the money to dump is going to be significantly less. So you have more people who are playing seriously, or trying to.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM

The money will be funneling upward. The fish that play at 10NL will lose to people who move up to 25NL, who lose it to grinders trying to get to 50NL etc. I agree that the legislation has really put a squeeze on the amount of new money coming into the system. I think that as time goes on, the really bad players will probably go broke (and US players will give up trying to get money online due to hassle) and the games will be tougher.

I don't play high enough to comment on the 100NL levels, but there may be as many fish there that just start at 100NL because as said, they don't want to mess around for 10 bucks at a time.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:47 PM

I can confirm that there are oodles of bad players at the $100NL tables, though the "average bad player" at $100NL isn't as bad as the "average bad player" at $25NL. (I never played much at $50NL -- I always hated that level. It seemed particularly hard and the games ran strange. Of course, I was young and inexperienced the last time I tried it, so your mileage may vary.)

At the $100NL tables, I'll sit if I find:

1. A single player with a 35+ VPIP and a bigger-than-buyin stack sitting directly on my right.

2. A single player with a 40+ VPIP and at least 40 BBs sitting directly on my right.

3. Two 35+ VPIPs at the table so long as they are not both directly on my left.

4. Three or more 35+ VPIPs.

I won't sit at a rock garden -- there are greener pastures out there, even at $100NL. It's been about six months since I've played $200NL, so I can't speak with certainty about that, but from what I recall, the trend continued: slightly tighter, fish are slightly less likely to stack off, TAGs are slightly more common, LAGs are slightly better, three bets happen slightly more often, etc.

It's a pretty gradual progression from $25NL through $200NL. I hear the jump from $200NL to $400NL is pretty large, though.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that there are oodles of bad players at the $100NL tables, though the "average bad player" at $100NL isn't as bad as the "average bad player" at $25NL. (I never played much at $50NL -- I always hated that level. It seemed particularly hard and the games ran strange. Of course, I was young and inexperienced the last time I tried it, so your mileage may vary.)

At the $100NL tables, I'll sit if I find:

1. A single player with a 35+ VPIP and a bigger-than-buyin stack sitting directly on my right.

2. A single player with a 40+ VPIP and at least 40 BBs sitting directly on my right.

3. Two 35+ VPIPs at the table so long as they are not both directly on my left.

4. Three or more 35+ VPIPs.

I won't sit at a rock garden -- there are greener pastures out there, even at $100NL. It's been about six months since I've played $200NL, so I can't speak with certainty about that, but from what I recall, the trend continued: slightly tighter, fish are slightly less likely to stack off, TAGs are slightly more common, LAGs are slightly better, three bets happen slightly more often, etc.

It's a pretty gradual progression from $25NL through $200NL. I hear the jump from $200NL to $400NL is pretty large, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the next question, while a little off topic, would be how do you do this? Just straight datamining? Do you use some type of table selection software?

What did you hate about 50NL? I find it interesting, did you just grind out NL25 until you got the roll. And so you agree that the games on tilt seem harder, or significantly harder than 25.

Also does anyone have any knowledge of 50NL on full tilt compared to other sites? easier, harder, observations?