Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 12-06-2006, 12:54 AM

Default 1 laptop, 2 monitors, 3 screens

I just purchased a new dell Inspiron E1705 and I also just bought 2 dell 2007FPs. I want to be able to use all three screens. I have only been able to use two screens. Is there anyway to remedy this problem or am I just stuck using two screens? Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 01:35 AM

Default Re: 1 laptop, 2 monitors, 3 screens

I don't have the link handy (although I've posted it before) but if you google for "PCMCIA VGA Adapter" you should find a card that can run either 2 monitors itself in addition to the lappy screen and 2nd monitor (but at a resolution UNDER 1600x1200 for the 2 additional monitors)...or a single monitor (in addition to the 2 you can already run) at 1600x1200 if memory serves right. It retailed for ~$350 I think. search google as suggested above or search my posts within the past 3 months in CTH. I'd check for ya but I'm in the middle of a few things as usual :|
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 AM

I didn't think that I would have to buy anymore accessories because my laptop has 1 vga port and a dvi port. Both monitors work when I plug them into these ports. However, I am not able to use my laptop screen. In the display settings I can not find an option to have 3 monitors. I would assume that if I change some setting I would be able to make my laptop screen work in addition to these monitors. Is this a correct assumption?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would assume that if I change some setting I would be able to make my laptop screen work in addition to these monitors. Is this a correct assumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unlikely - most video chipsets can drive at most two display devices simultaneously.

You probably are gonna have to buy the PCMCIA card BiPolar_Nut speaks of, or a Matrox Dual/Triple Head2go adapter if you want 3 displays at once.

This is however interesting - aflaba was looking for a laptop that could do two independant external displays - this one sounds like it does the job...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:13 AM

I have no clue if it will work or not, but try messing with the Fn key + Monitor key combination.

The Fn key is down by your Alt and Ctrl keys. The monitor key should be something like F6 (usually has a pic of a monitor). Hold Fn and press the button to toggle through the different video modes.

Don't know if it will work but give it a try.

/gold
Old 12-06-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a correct assumption?

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on the video driver, actually.

What happens when you hook up your 2 monitors? Is the laptop screen blanked out or is it a mirror of one of the 2 external monitors?

Others have recently asked similar questions and basically, none of them could even run 2 external monitors at all using the factory hardware.

My best guess is that if you have the 2 external ports, can get displays on both, yet the display properties are still only showing 2 monitors, then that's all you've got...to get a third you'd need a card like I mentioned above. If your driver supported 3 displays, you should see the options to configure all 3 in your diaplay properties.

I've run tri-head machines before (last one was at my office...1GHz P-III desktop machine w/ 3 mis-matched PCI vid cards in win2k) and if the vid card/drivers can handle the displays, they will "just show up" in the display properties.

Wish I could say "Oh yeah, click this and this then click this checkbox", but that isn't the case. I believe you'll need a separate card to get a 3rd display [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I'd love to be proven wrong tho.....anyone have other info?

(you could also try calling Dell since it's new and surely is under at least an India support contract..hopefully a gold contract that goes straight to level-2 and bypasses India/reduces hold time.....but even if ya gotta start at the bottom they should be able to tell you if the machine can support 3 monitors)

If you get a 3-mon solution from dell or elsewhere, please post back as this would certainly be valuable info for other 2+2'ers. Thanks and GL!

Edit: lol @ my slow typing/massive wordiness and 3 posts getting through before I run out of breath
Old 12-06-2006, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is however interesting - aflaba was looking for a laptop that could do two independant external displays - this one sounds like it does the job...

[/ QUOTE ]

aflaba was looking for a 12 or 14" lappy that could drive 2 monitors...I didn't look up the model # but an E1705 sounds like a 17" to me.....and even if not, since it's new I'd assume at least a 15 or 15.4 widescreen.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks for your help. You are correct the E1705 does have a 17inch monitor. I guess I should feel lucky that this laptop will support two external monitors. I really don't need three anyway I just thought it would be nice.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 AM

If you want to have two external monitors + laptop screen you'll need to buy another video card. I bought the VTBook for this purpose, and am happy with it.

http://www.villagetronic.com/e_products.html
Old 12-10-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to have two external monitors + laptop screen you'll need to buy another video card. I bought the VTBook for this purpose, and am happy with it.

http://www.villagetronic.com/e_products.html

[/ QUOTE ]

This product looks great! So, can I have my laptop at 1400x1050 or whatever, then attach one 2007fps via the AV (big blue) cable at 1600x1200, then attach another 2007fps by the VTBook at 1600x1200? This would be fantastic.