Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-08-2006, 01:14 PM

Default 6-min. laptop bootup time; which of these startup prog\'s can I disable

So I made another post lamenting the fact that my laptop took 6-7 whole minutes to boot up from its 'off' state.

People said this wasn't normal and that it was possibly b/c I had too many programs set to automatically boot up. So I've finally got around to following one guy's advice to go into the msconfig...startup window and disable the things I don't need to start up, but I don't want to uncheck things that are potentially necessary processes for my computer. So hoping that some people here can take a quick look at the following list and tell me which ones I can safely disable (and which ones, I guess, will make the biggest/most noticeable difference in my startup time). You can see the 5 ones I unchecked, because it was pretty easy to figure out what they were and that they were unnecessary...but I don't know what all the other ones are so I'm wary to uncheck them.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 6-min. laptop bootup time; which of these startup prog\'s can I disable

you can start with all the adobe stuff and microsoft office and aim (unless you use aim). Cyberlink dvd launcher can go also. Most likely there is more you can kill but just off the top of my head thats all I can identify. You can google the process and see what they do.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: 6-min. laptop bootup time; which of these startup prog\'s can I dis

Yeah dude you should really just google these. I'd actually remove all of them to start with, and add them back one by one depending on what you're missing.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:45 PM

Hey Dan,

you can uncheck:

dsagnt

dvdlauncher

adobeupdatemanager

adobereader

microsoft office

jusched

If you ever need any of these then you can just run the program or accessory and it will load up for you. A lot of the stuff is norton or dell which may be important for your system
Old 07-08-2006, 11:31 PM

Look at your norton settings. Norton may possibly be doing a partial or full virus scan on bootup. In the long run their are better programs for firewall and virus protection than Norton. I have been very happy with Nod32 from Eset. Far less system resources. Seach this forum to see other reccomendations for virus protection.

Dennisa
Old 07-09-2006, 09:29 PM

See the one with nothing listed next to it? That is almost certainly a virus, or malicious program of some sort. Getting rid of that would be a good idea and I would imagine it would also significantly decrease your startup times.

Getting rid of it might be fairly difficult if you are'nt particularly computer savy, try to check out where in the registry that key is and see if you can find out what it is. Unchecking it might help, but I wouldn't count on that as a solution.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 PM

There is a nice program here http://www.windowsstartup.com (startup inspector) that will help you know what you need and what you don't, and it will clean up the registry entries as well, which is a little cleaner than using the msconfig.