Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Newest Identifiable leak in my game.

I don't know when to defend my blind for all/most of my stack with a marginal hand. The basic question is this: If you think the call is +cEV do you make it at any stage, for any of your stack at any time?

I understand the importance of attacking on the bubble, It feels awkward though, calling all-in for my stack with a Q4 just because 1/4th of my stack is in the blind on the bubble.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Newest Identifiable leak in my game.

Honestly, I'm not calling with Q4 there because many opponents are not pushing with any two just because it's the bubble. They are likely pushing hands better than top 50%, and I'm not getting the right price against that range.

With half my stack already in, I call any two. With 3 BB left, I figure to have a better chance of doubling in the next few hands.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:56 AM

the problem is that you let yourself get down to 4xBB.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:59 AM

Sometimes you can't help getting to 4bb, it just happens with bad beats, horrible cards, and if you get off to a bad start...no f***ing chips to make any moves with...IMO

Teon
Old 07-04-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you can't help getting to 4bb, it just happens with bad beats, horrible cards, and if you get off to a bad start...no f***ing chips to make any moves with...IMO

Teon

[/ QUOTE ] You should be able to stay well above 4xbb (or bust out) regardless of your cards. Nath's point is that the hero is probably missing some opportunities to push short-stacked.

This morning, I had J2o with 8Xbb (5M) in the SB. Folds to me, I push. BB has KK, I suck out. The table berates me for my stupid push, which tells me that most of the table has no clue how to play short-stacked.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Teon

[/ QUOTE ]

The ONLY time you should get down to 4bb is if you lose a huge pot to put you that low. You should never fold/weak-tight your way to 4bb.

At 10bb you should loosen up your play and push marginal hands with position preflop, as well as great hands. The most simple reasoning for this is that even if you double up with 4bb, it has no significance, you're still in horrible shape.

To think otherwise is a major major major leak.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 AM

Read, reread, and commmit to memory, Harrington on Holdem II, Part 9 "Inflection Points"
Old 07-04-2006, 09:54 AM

Sorry, I should have been more clear. This is a 5 table sit and go. 10,000 chips puts you at the final table as an average stack. One situation, today, was this:

I am in the BB of 1200 with Q9s, and 5000 left in my stack.
Everyone folds to button with 3700 left. He goes all-in.
do you call the 2500 more? This guy was obviously desperate, and I don't want to fold my blind to an A2 in this spot right? right?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:29 AM

I'm with nath and jcm4ccc in that it seems like you should been the one pushing earlier instead of considering calling a push.

If you think he's pushing with any two in that spot you would be a slight favourite, and with the blinds taken into account it would for sure be a call also against for example A2 where you would be a slight underdog.

But generally I much rather look for a spot to push myself and avoid calling other peoples pushes with anything else than a decent hand.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that you let yourself get down to 4xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]