Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Tips for Saving Money in Everday Life

I saw on some talk show long ago about some extreme frugal people who...

...never bought ketchup or napkins. They would go to fast food places, grab napkins and ketchup packets, and go home. The guy would even empty all the ketchup packets into a used heinz bottle.

...bought 2 ply bathroom tissue paper, and would separate into 2 1-ply rolls.

So there you go.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Large crockpot + $20 of stew meat and cans of vegetables = enough soup for around 6 or 7 meals. Ignoring the cost of the crockpot, that's like $3/meal.

7 or 8 frozen chicken breasts from Sams = $11. Instant mashed potatoes = $0.84 at Walmart. Grill/bake all 7 breasts on Sunday night (store in ziploc bags in the fridge), make the instant potatoes as needed (1 bag = 2 meals), add some veggies if you like, and voila, extremely quick meals during the week for under $3/meal.

There's no reason to spend more than $10/day for food during the week.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Never turn your lights off, even when you're not around. The lightbulbs burn out by turning them on and off too often. Extend the longevity of the lights by flipping the switch seldom.

[/ QUOTE ]

leaving your lights on all the time wastes soooooooo much energy. your suggestion for saving money is essentially to flush wads and wads of money down the toilet. this is just brutal. unless im getting leveled here.

rj
Old 01-17-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never turn your lights off, even when you're not around. The lightbulbs burn out by turning them on and off too often. Extend the longevity of the lights by flipping the switch seldom.

[/ QUOTE ]

a better idea is to buy the long-lasting energy-efficient lightbulbs (the kind that look like corkscrews).

buying energy efficient appliances in general is a big money saver.

other ways to save money on utilities include insulation and good windows.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Sam is right on, the entertainment books end up saving us a ton of cash since we pretty much end up eating out 3-5 times a week even though we try to be better about cooking stuff ourselves.

The most recent book apparently benefited some wheelchair basketball program in Denver, and it not only contained coupons for buy-one, get one free type of stuff, but several coupons with totally free stuff. Last month I got an oil change/tire-rotation/complete vehicle check up for free ($40 value) and there is a coupon in the book from a local mexican restaurant which gives a free margarita a week for a whole year. Free margaritas = happy wife. Sweet ass!

Swede
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a better idea is to buy the long-lasting energy-efficient lightbulbs (the kind that look like corkscrews).

buying energy efficient appliances in general is a big money saver.

other ways to save money on utilities include insulation and good windows.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have slowly been changing my burnt out lightbulbs to the energy saving corkscrews. they are now nearly fully implemented. energy bill last year for december with no energy saving bulbs: 115. this year with energy saving: 64.

holla.

rj
Old 01-17-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with these. I replaced my 60 watt recessed lighting bulbs with these that used ~15watts but put out more lumens. My kitchen is so f'in bright I'm going to have to size down and them bulbs ain't cheap at like $7 a pop. Also, these bulb types take about a minute to get bright. They are very dim when you first turn them on.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful with these. I replaced my 60 watt recessed lighting bulbs with these that used ~15watts but put out more lumens. My kitchen is so f'in bright I'm going to have to size down and them bulbs ain't cheap at like $7 a pop. Also, these bulb types take about a minute to get bright. They are very dim when you first turn them on.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought a box of 10 at target for 12 dollars.

rj
Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bought a box of 10 at target for 12 dollars.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably bought standard bulbs, not the ones designed for recessed lighting fixtures. Otherwise, Home Depot for the lose.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM

The Canadian government pays a tax reimbursement for using energy-saving lifebulbs.