Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-09-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: **** ALDS GAME 4 Tribe/Yanks (Byrd vs. Mussina)****

I might sound a bit result oriented, but Torre should of had Mariano Rivera in game 2 with Sizemore on base. He should of had someone warming up before Wang loaded up the bases, be it for only 1 inning, but it cost him 2 points. He also should of replaced Mussina before the Indians loaded the bases a second time.

Why is he being so patient in the playoffs, it's not like there's another game if you lose this one. Also, how can you play Doug Mien- at first base when you obviously need offense, at least bring Giambi earlier in the game when you have runners on base.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 AM

torii hunter is a funny mfer

i don't know about 'nastiest stuff since pedro,' but carmona has looked sick good.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might sound a bit result oriented, but Torre should of had Mariano Rivera in game 2 with Sizemore on base. He should of had someone warming up before Wang loaded up the bases, be it for only 1 inning, but it cost him 2 points. He also should of replaced Mussina before the Indians loaded the bases a second time.

[/ QUOTE ]

your mother 'should of' stopped eating those paint chips when she found out she was pregnant, imo
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Thoughts on tonight's game:

1) I still believe Wedge made a mistake in starting Paul Byrd. It reeked of passivity when I thought they should be aggressive and put their best two starters out there in Games 4 and 5. However, I guess you have to give him credit for sticking to his guns no matter what anybody else said. He certainly knows his team better than I do, and Byrd did pitch very well tonight.

2) I really didn't pay much attention to the fact that Wang was likely to suck on three days' rest. First of all, he was not effective in Game 1. Cleveland absolutely torched him. Also, he had never pitched on short rest in his MLB career. Finally, he's a sinker ball pitcher. When you're tired, the sinker doesn't sink. Case in point: first batter, Grady Sizemore, booya!

3) Is it just me, or was Chip Caray going out of his way to jinx Joe Borowski? Jesus Christ. It's the 6th inning, Cleveland is ahead by 4 runs, and he is making comments about how Borowski is not an overpowering closer. It's almost like he was suggesting the Yankees were looking forward to batting in the bottom of the 9th trailing by multiple runs. This may not be the exact quote, but it's close: "a run here, a run there, and they'll be happy to take their chances with Borowski." What the hell is he talking about? The fact is Joe Borowski saved about 85% of the games in which he had a chance to do so. Who cares if he's not overpowering? Neither is Paul Byrd. How did he do tonight?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
good night Yankees.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Torre. I don't see how anybody couldn't respect the guy. Indians-Sox is gonna be a good series.

Also to whoever said on page 5 or 6 that Carmona's stuff is the best stuff since prime Pedro: are you out of your [censored] mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't watched him as every single baseball guy that I know agrees hole heartedly with me. To quote Tory Hunter: "That guy is so nasty that I thought that I was drunk when I faced him."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, there's no doubt he's good, but best stuff since prime Pedro who arguably showed the dirtiest stuff, and the best prime ever? No chance. You could find any number of random quotes where Joe so and so says "I don't care what anyone says, that guy has the nastiest stuff ever, but that really doesn't mean much. What "baseball guys" do you speak of?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Also, after a poll of AL scouts and managers regarding the best tools and "stuff" in the league, you can't find Carmona in the top 3 of any single pitch that he throws. This was in Baseball America. It's just not true
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on tonight's game:

1) I still believe Wedge made a mistake in starting Paul Byrd. It reeked of passivity when I thought they should be aggressive and put their best two starters out there in Games 4 and 5. However, I guess you have to give him credit for sticking to his guns no matter what anybody else said. He certainly knows his team better than I do, and Byrd did pitch very well tonight.

2) I really didn't pay much attention to the fact that Wang was likely to suck on three days' rest. First of all, he was not effective in Game 1. Cleveland absolutely torched him. Also, he had never pitched on short rest in his MLB career. Finally, he's a sinker ball pitcher. When you're tired, the sinker doesn't sink. Case in point: first batter, Grady Sizemore, booya!

3) Is it just me, or was Chip Caray going out of his way to jinx Joe Borowski? Jesus Christ. It's the 6th inning, Cleveland is ahead by 4 runs, and he is making comments about how Borowski is not an overpowering closer. It's almost like he was suggesting the Yankees were looking forward to batting in the bottom of the 9th trailing by multiple runs. This may not be the exact quote, but it's close: "a run here, a run there, and they'll be happy to take their chances with Borowski." What the hell is he talking about? The fact is Joe Borowski saved about 85% of the games in which he had a chance to do so. Who cares if he's not overpowering? Neither is Paul Byrd. How did he do tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, results oriented much? i'm sure the yankees were drooling at the chance to get at borowski rather than face perez/betancourt in the ninth
Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, after a poll of AL scouts and managers regarding the best tools and "stuff" in the league, you can't find Carmona in the top 3 of any single pitch that he throws. This was in Baseball America. It's just not true

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure his sinker will be in the top 3 of next year's issue.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure his sinker will be in the top 3 of next year's issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sinkers are counted as fastballs when it comes to pure "stuff". It is a sinking fastball.

edit: so if you think he'll make the top 3 in the fastball category I'd have to say that's pretty unlikely. But the fact that we're debating whether or not he has one top 3 pitch seems like a pretty strong case against him being anywhere near prime Pedro, or having the best stuff since
Old 10-09-2007, 01:42 AM

Carmona's career development path may very well follow that of Kevin Brown's. Take a look at his strikeout numbers when he started and then see where they ended up in LA.