Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-10-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2006 NLCS Cards v. Mets Thread***

I think a key for the Cards is to split the first two games in New York and have Carp starting game three at home. With the Mets lineup and lackluster starting pitching for the Cards a split would be a major accomplishment.

I have to be realistic and predict the Mets in six. Rolen and Edmonds are both hurting. Mulder and Izzy are out after being injured and ineffective for most of the year. The starters minus Carp are very unpredictable. The hitters minus Pujols are hurting and very unpredictable. The Cards only managed 34 hits in four games against San Diego. Larussa has been a terrible manager after the first postseason series.

That being said anything can happen in a short series. I will say my prayers and hope for the best. GO CARDS!!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2006, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up a couple off ebay for the 2nd to last row of the Mezz.

I hate, hate, hate, the back rows, but it's the NLCS baby!!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've never sat there in October -- bring a jacket. And another jacket. And a sweater. And some hot chocolate. I sat 2nd to last row of mezz for Game 2 of '86 WS (Gooden v. Clemens), and it was brutal.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 AM

Mets NLCS Roster Published. . Floyd Included. Ring out, Anderson Hernandez in.

PITCHERS (11): Chad Bradford, Pedro Feliciano, Tom Glavine, Aaron Heilman, Roberto Hernandez, John Maine, Guillermo Mota, Darren Oliver, Oliver Perez, Steve Trachsel, Billy Wagner.

CATCHERS (2): Paul Lo Duca, Ramon Castro.

INFIELDERS (7): Carlos Delgado, Julio Franco, Anderson Hernandez, Jose Reyes, Jose Valentin, Chris Woodward, David Wright.

OUTFIELDERS (5): Carlos Beltran, Endy Chavez, Cliff Floyd, Shawn Green, Michael Tucker.

I'm not surprised Ring was left off this time, but I am surprised that Anderson Hernandez is in. Would have thought that they would take a 3rd catcher or another outfielder. Guess Hernandez is there to be a defensive replacement for Valentin...
Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 AM

Hope Cliffy can really make a go of it.

Some folks thought maybe include DiFelice so that we could free up Castro as a RH pinch hitter.

Anderson Hernandez makes sense though in case Cliffy goes down. If we're low on OF, Valentin can be moved out there in a pinch, and AH to 2B.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Woodward can play corner outfield too.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 AM

True true. I forgot about Woody.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 AM

I'm glad Ring is out. I could not imagine him pitching in a tight situation. I would prolly turn the game off if he was pitching. Anyway, I hope Cliff can provide something this series. Mike Francesca really felt that Milledge should be brought up and give Floyd time to rest.

Cliff healthy does make for a very very dangerous lineup. But, when it comes down to it, Glavine has to pitch well tonight. Winning tonight will be huge for the Mets and maybe take some pressure off the rest of the staff.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:41 AM

I think I'd rather have Ring pitching in a tight situation than Milledge at the plate in a tight situation.

The more I think about it, taking Hernandez over Milledge is the right move. Hernandez is very good defensively at both short and second. He can bunt and run the bases well too. Milledge was just okay defensively this year and I'm pretty sure he isn't the most well liked guy in that locker room right now. Potentially messing up that chemistry would be disastrous.

Now taking DiFelice instead of Hernandez is more debateable in my mind.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Larussa has been a terrible manager after the first postseason series.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean after the cardinals beat the padres? i don't get it. the only "decision" i see that he's made is to start weaver, and that's forced.

if you mean during the padres series, i don't really see that either. i'm not a fan of his in-game management, but i've generally liked it in the padres series. he was the one that signalled belliard over to right for his huge loaded bases catch, great timing on the sacrifice (and not doing it with carpenter up), etc. i thought the last game was lined up great. i've bitched PLENTY about his decisions during the regular season, but not the post. the only thing i'm skittish about right now is the prospect of rolen returning or marquis starting. i would rather have spiezio on 3rd and reyes or the bullpen starting game 4.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Milledge was just okay defensively

[/ QUOTE ]

That's being quite generous to Lastings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for LaRussa, I don't recall the exact moves, but I remember the general theme after the 2000 NLCS being that he was absolutely schooled by Bobby V on the in-game management.

Hopefully Willie can do the same...