Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: PokerStars: Allow Datamining

[ QUOTE ]

Basically pokerstove and all you need to do in the SNG is guessing what the range of your opponent is.
Datamining and this can give it to you without single click.

This 2 sws and datamining together can kill the SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And now I'll do you a favor. Pokerstove doesn't help much for SNGs. There's a nice little thing called ICM.

As for killing SNGs, they're basically already dead.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nits 15 tabling hurt the games a lot more than the rare successful cheating scandal that happened on AP

[/ QUOTE ]

but how much [censored] is going on undetected right now that we dont know about, that someone might have discovered who datamines? IMO, datamining just doesnt really increase someone edge enough to matter, so theres not too much to lose by allowing it

[/ QUOTE ]

1) lee jones idea about player 1 player 2 etc is a good one
2) id rather be cheated sometimes and play with retards all the time then play with 8 nits per table all day Gmaes are more profitable that way anyway
Most people who cheat suck anyway
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We say Pstars doesn't have bots (or whatever), partly because no one has amassed the info to prove it.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.
We (me) say it because
1) PS banned several accounts because of using bots.
2) PS uses turing tests
3) PS banned an account of the bot developer (cant recollect the name) and he started screaming because of $100 (the most part in this issue).
Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for killing SNGs, they're basically already dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope they aren't. Do we really want to kill the game because of being lazy?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) If you think players aren't already datamining Stars against the T & C's, you're kidding yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know they do.
I would do also if I haven't have enough hands saved (in terms of capabilities of my computer).

What I don't want is 9 of 10 chmunks dataminig all tables of all levels all day long (thus having all my hand histories).

Right now they have 2 options:
a) mess with dataminig and keep themselves under the radar
b) mess with shady people that provide tham hand histories (basically this hand histories can be generated - quite easy job - just use old one, refresh with new data ... ) I don't say someone does this.

See it? Much more hassle then just (auto)running a script that keeps 367 tables open through the night.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) lee jones idea about player 1 player 2 etc is a good one
2) id rather be cheated sometimes and play with retards all the time then play with 8 nits per table all day Gmaes are more profitable that way anyway

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM

meh, anyone saying datamining needs to happen and offering any reason other than the fact they want to be able to datamine because it gives them an edge is in denial.

So datamining has helped what, catch some less than a handful of bots and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the AP scandal. Seems the doesnt even come close to equaling the impact of a million multitabling nit bots.

Personally I trust stars to actually be doing the detective work that supposedly datamining would allow the community to do. I also trust them to do it ALOT better than the community could.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 PM

So really, this is all about YOUR self-interest in that you are afraid that allowing datamining will cut down on YOUR profits?

Does that about sum it up?

Fishy games like small stakes 200 NL and below don't really require datamining of other players. Simply find fish and sit with them. You don't need thousands of hands with a loose passive fish or a loose aggressive blufftard to know how to beat them.

You are basically just worried that hudbots will be able to find fish more efficiently, which is really the result of allowing datamining.

Datamining ensures the integrity of the game rather than just relying on the site to police themselves. If you cared about the integrity of the game rather than your own ability to sit in fishy games, miss value bets like it's your job and still turn a profit, you wouldn't be crying so much about Stars allowing datamining.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 PM

This thread is [censored] hilarious. I agree with OP; most other things posted here are just stupid.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM

I think the Omaha shortstacking bot ring on stars was broken up in part due to datamining, so yeah generally I agree with OP. The advantage isn't that great and certainly isn't unfair, and the added transparency that allowing datamining brings is well worth it imo.