Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 07-15-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: *****OFFICIAL NBA FA signing day*****

I'm not sure what else you wanted the Bucks to do here? If they don't resign Mo here they have no legitimate NBA level starting PG for next season. You act like he's a bust when he just averaged 17/6 in only his 4th season in the league and his first full-time season. Mo will develop and so will the Bucks other young players. The nice thing about having Bogut and Villaneuva and now Yi is that only one of Bogut/Villaneuva will likely need to be resigned in the 2009 offseason.

Really looking down on any of the Bucks players based off of last season where their starting 5 combined to miss 184 games is ridiculous. It would be hard for anyone to succeed in that environment.

Also worth noting, even with the Mo signing and assuming Yi signs a contract that pays him something around 3M this year that still leaves the Bucks with somewhere in the range of 5-7M in cap room to work with depending on the specifics of Mo's contract. My guess is they'll use that room to resign Charlie Bell, and bring in a solid bench player. Maybe I'm crazy but I think in that case their rotation looks pretty solid for this year.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to this, they have the 2nd lowest payroll as of now.

[/ QUOTE ]

um yeah, i know, that's how i got this:

"$32 million a year for three players? toss in williams' 8.6 million average and that's 40.6 million for 4/5 of a starting lineup, two of which (gadzuric and simmons) may not even be good enough to be starters anymore."

you can add it up yourself if you'd like. the cap is $53.135 million, and $40.6 million a year of that is tied up into four players, only one of whom is anywhere close to great.

i act like williams immediately became an extremely overpaid point guard based on last year's mediocre performance. his numbers were great for a fantasy league, but don't actually help as much as you think they do for an actual nba team. the point is the bucks basically are stuck with a core group of 5-7 players for the next three years minimum, and i am arguing that core group is not good enough to push them substantially past mediocre. hence a team stuck in near-limbo for about half a decade.

the problem is the team they're fielding out for next year is the team they will be stuck with for quite a while, and you don't compete anywhere near the highest level in the nba with one great offensive player and a bunch of solid but unspectacular young players.

a young core is worthless if you overpay said core to the point where substantial improvement MUST occur for a bright future. and it's not like they addressed any of their porous defense problems.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"He should be a bench player."

This simply isn't true at all. JWill would've started at PG for the following teams for sure last year:

New York
Boston
Cleveland
Indiana
Miami
Washington
Orlando
Charlotte
Atlanta
Houston
Memphis
Denver
Portland
Minnesota(move Foye to the 2)
Seattle
Lakers
Clippers

Thats over 1/2 the teams in the league and thats not even counting teams that I was on the fence about.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts. He doesn't start over Marbury (Isiah's lovechild), Tinsley (average, but consistent), Arenas (wtf?), Jameer Nelson (younger, better despite his limitations), Felton (younger, better) or Sam Cassell. Jason Williams is an average NBA point guard who unreliable. If he were an unrestricted FA, he doesn't even command the midlevel. He's not the fan favorite he was in Sacramento (which meant increased value due to fans in seats) because he's been smart enough to get his game somewhat under control, but he's also not really good at anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way jason williams would START over
stephon marbury
jameer nelson
raymond felton
jamaal tinsley
gilbert arenas
heck id even have rajan rondo over jwill

funny thing is...why would they move foye to the 2

this list is laughable theres only like 3 teams on there he would be clear cut starter

atlanta
denver
i guess he would start over jarret jack in portland
but no...he is not better then skip to my lou

lets face it jwill is old and injury prone and a poor ass defender
this list u made really is pathetic

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no clue why you're so down on JWill. Yes, he is injury prone, but that doesn't affect whether or not he'll start when he is healthy. He is a smart defender who takes very few risks now(look at how his steals have gone down).

I still very much disagree with the original notion that hes inconsistent today. He definitely was in Sacramento and maybe at times in Memphis too. However I've watched him a lot in Miami, and hes very poised and veteran-like.

What exactly do you not like about him?