Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Re: **Official** uNL Microbrew Thread - October

How am I (like everyone else) losing so much money with 1 pair hands? To put it another way, why am I ever putting a penny into pots with 1p?

Well, clearly there are two specific occasions when putting money in with 1p must be right:

1. When we have a pocket pair. This must be right, as these are a special category of 1p - they can be premiums, they can hit sets, and they often pick up the pot when we cb. In other words, there is more to them than just being a pair.

2. When we have TP: this must be worth putting money in with, at least on 1 street.

Other than that, is there any value whatsoever in continuing with other 1p hands given they will always end up being losers?

I suppose we should consider the times when our 1p improves to 2p or better, but I cannot imagine those times are frequent enough that they greatly add to our 2p+ profits. In other words, I doubt that our 2p+ profits would be less if we didn't often play our 1p hands.

And I was shocked to see in PT today that 40% of all my hands were 1p. That's unbelievable, and to some extent shows how many opportunities 1p offers us to spew/take stabs/lose money.

If there is a stunningly simple answer to this question and it's ridiculously dumb, apologies. I've been thinking about it a while and honestly can't come up with a good answer. I guess another way of putting it is: how do I lose less with 1p hands? (And no, I don't go nuts with J7 on K87 boards).
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The cleaner is a donk... he never folds...

/rant

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I think the cleaner is pretty solid from my limited time Ive played with him. _2_4_0_0 on the other hand... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] (j/k, but you seem to make a lot of plays vs. regulars though)

[/ QUOTE ]

I love playing with regulars sometimes, they tend to give me just as much respect as other people give to them, so why not try to take advantage of it sometimes? It gives you more room to actually make risky plays at times I think.

For example, Squizzel loves playing against me it seems and loves to try and make moves against me, whether they are +EV or -EV is beyond me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess Im the only one that saw past that then [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But no wonder that some regs start to you call you dont light then, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM

Chomp, one of the things about 1 pair besides that its not a great hand no matter how big the one pair is that when PT shows your stats, the board being paired also counts as one pair. Alot of your PT stats are you having a garbage hand even worse than 1 pair, same goes for the 2 pair stats.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How am I (like everyone else) losing so much money with 1 pair hands? To put it another way, why am I ever putting a penny into pots with 1p?

Well, clearly there are two specific occasions when putting money in with 1p must be right:

1. When we have a pocket pair. This must be right, as these are a special category of 1p - they can be premiums, they can hit sets, and they often pick up the pot when we cb. In other words, there is more to them than just being a pair.

2. When we have TP: this must be worth putting money in with, at least on 1 street.

Other than that, is there any value whatsoever in continuing with other 1p hands given they will always end up being losers?

I suppose we should consider the times when our 1p improves to 2p or better, but I cannot imagine those times are frequent enough that they greatly add to our 2p+ profits. In other words, I doubt that our 2p+ profits would be less if we didn't often play our 1p hands.

And I was shocked to see in PT today that 40% of all my hands were 1p. That's unbelievable, and to some extent shows how many opportunities 1p offers us to spew/take stabs/lose money.

If there is a stunningly simple answer to this question and it's ridiculously dumb, apologies. I've been thinking about it a while and honestly can't come up with a good answer. I guess another way of putting it is: how do I lose less with 1p hands? (And no, I don't go nuts with J7 on K87 boards).

[/ QUOTE ]

1p hands is the most common hand in poker I think. In my entire poker career, I have never been in the positive with 1pair hands. Why? Because 1pair hands = small pot. When you hands improves (2p, str, flush, trips etc.) you start to build a pot. PT does not show that. Its very normal to have a negative amount with 1pair hands. You'd probably be in god mode if you were in the green with those hands.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:08 PM

how many of you use modded tables on FTP?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should create a new post with this content/question. I'm a loser with 1 pair hands too (at least, over the past couple months) and I'd like to hear some different people's opinions/rationale. I doubt you'll get too much of a response in the brew though - I think it would be an appropriate post on its own considering it discusses strategy.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM

mmmm Rungoodament

Old 10-04-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a polite way of telling me i need a life? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. No, just playin' wit u.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] PJ
Old 10-04-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how many of you use modded tables on FTP?

[/ QUOTE ]

i took one of the default table backgrounds and went into paint and just made the entire thing red around where the table should be.. don't really like ft's backgrounds
Old 10-04-2007, 02:48 PM

So I'm currently playing NL50, 6-max and recently full ring on Full Tilt. The full ring games I've noticed to be softer, as the 50NL games are filled with 2+2ers, Cardrunners members, etc. And while the games are still easily beatable, I'd rather play with as many fish as possible, in less aggressive games.

Anyways, I have some money in Epassporte that I can put on soemwhere and was wondering if anyone plays at Cake. Are the games there truly softer? Also I currently 5-6 table, but I doubt there's anyway I could do that with Cake...blech.

I used to play Bodog and loved the soft play there, but then you had the 3-table max and slow cash outs via check...*shrugs*

Pete
Closed Thread