Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: JTs multiway pot 984 flop, other big stack raises allin

I think this is a fold. MP2 has a set like always and we're not getting 3:1. At the risk of sounding like a tournament lifer our first 30K chips we can save are worth more than the extra 70K we could gain also, unless you figure the bubble to be particularly exploitable and I'm not sure if this is the case in most 50r or not.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:40 PM

checking this flop is awful due to them being so short.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honest question here...

the move is calling even though you know you're out of the tournament 2/3 of the time???

[/ QUOTE ]

Once one is no longer afraid of death he shall finally be free.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:48 PM

This is gross, but I think I like leading along with Shaun.

Check/shoving is a great line but not when a couple of the players in the pot you're not going to have any FE vs. anyway as they barely have PSBs left. If everyone was close to as deep as you that's the play, but since they don't I think you have to lead. Hopefully at worst you're up against one of the short stacks, but you get [censored] here when the big stack shoves.

Problem is we really aren't sure what he has, basically going to come down to assigning a range and figuring it out and it's tough to assign a range without a good read.

Regardless, you're probably not going to be too wrong calling here and certainly can be very right if you have the straight odds plus the Ts and Js.

I like raising TJs here PF, not sure what ppl's problem is, but I think if your range UTG+1 is this wide your KK might be a call now.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honest question here...

the move is calling even though you know you're out of the tournament 2/3 of the time???

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key thing that the people who are saying to fold are missing. We do not play MTTs to limp into the money. We play for the big money which goes to the top four spots. So yes, even though we're done with the tournament more often than not after this hand, the fact that we're in good shape to FT it the other 1/3 of the time more than makes up for not cashing this time. If you're seriously worried about your tournament life, then you're playing over your bankroll / comfort level and you'd do better to move down.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
checking this flop is awful due to them being so short.

[/ QUOTE ]

One is the BB, who's already checked, so leading or checking makes no difference (he was check-raising or he's check-folding - what we do is largely irrelevant), the other is either surprisingly bad or he's not folding on this flop (because his PF range should be medium pairs up, not usually overcards). So our only concern is the other big stack. We're calling off, and should be happy to call off, 12k whatever the others do. The other big stack isn't usually folding a better hand if we lead and he's obviously not calling with worse. The times he does fold a better hand, it's a weeny PP and he'll fold at some later stage anyway.

Also, the times we hit our hand on the turn are often going to improve somebody elses to the extent that they have to pay off at least something.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honest question here...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key thing that the people who are saying to fold are missing. We do not play MTTs to limp into the money. We play for the big money which goes to the top four spots. So yes, even though we're done with the tournament more often than not after this hand, the fact that we're in good shape to FT it the other 1/3 of the time more than makes up for not cashing this time. If you're seriously worried about your tournament life, then you're playing over your bankroll / comfort level and you'd do better to move down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you assume because I asked this question, I must be scared or playing over my bankroll. Take away the snotty condescension and your answer was very good.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you assume because I asked this question, I must be scared or playing over my bankroll. Take away the snotty condescension and your answer was very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

My response was to the people advocating fold, not to your question. But your defensive reaction makes me wonder if you might be playing over your b.r. or comfort level.