Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Pizza Delivery Tip

[ QUOTE ]
Every pizza I delivered I did it with the attitude I wasnt getting a tip. So I would never ask "do you want change?" or "how much change do you want?" or any of that crap. They paid, I gave them the change, and id turn around and start to leave. If they handed me anything I said thank you like I would say it if I wasnt expecting to get anything. I pretty much always made more in tips than the other drivers who did the "standard" routine you got. And I think my attitude was why. Not saying I wasnt above tricks like the dirty dollar and what not, but even when I was doing them I still carried the attitude that I didnt expect a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you actually give them $4.74 back (in this case, with a $15.26 order) if they didn't ask for an amount back when handing your the bill? I'm not saying it's wrong or right or whatever, just seems tedious to be pulling out change all the time.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:05 PM

It makes it much easier on the driver to mention how much change you want back. Often I'd ask how much change they'd like, because its a lot easier than counting out exact change and then getting back all the pennies and nickles after I'm done (which happened about 5% of the time, enough to piss you off).
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I order some pizza for delivery.
The total is like $15.26

The pizza delivery guy comes to the door,
I give him a $20.

Pizza Guy: "Do you want change?"
Me (thinking): Yeah, I'm not going to tip you like $5 on a $15 order, dipwad"
Me (speaking): Yes

Pizza Guy: "How much change do you want?"
Me (thinking): HOW MUCH CHANGE DO I WANT? WTF!!!! UHHH, HOW ABOUT THE CORRECT AMOUNT? OR MAYBE FORGET THE ODD CENTS AND GIVE ME $4, AND THEN I WILL DECIDE WHAT, IF ANY, TIP YOU GET.

So what do you say to the how much change do you want question?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop being a cheap ass and give the man the 20
Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM

regarding what alobar said he does, I did that for a week until it got too annoying to count out change. I don't think anyone ever was offended by my question, it seems very standard.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:27 PM

I once delivered to a guy. It was dark and his order was $9.50. He gives me a bill and I'm trying to see if it's a 10 or 20 since he was an idiot and didn't turn on his light. I see it's a 10 and I'm diggin in my pocket for change and he says "Don't worry about it and shuts the door." When I got back, I found out he called our call center - who takes 99% of the orders - and told them I didn't have change to give him and they gave him a free pizza. After that, I made sure I always gave change back - or at least tried to.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The standard way to avoid this awkward situation is to state the amount of change you want back as you are handing him the money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
regarding what alobar said he does, I did that for a week until it got too annoying to count out change. I don't think anyone ever was offended by my question, it seems very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way alobar said he did is the correct way, and doing it the correct way as alobar found out, he got more in tips.

Too anoying to count out change? Gee, too bad but that is uhhh... YOUR JOB.

Asking how much change they want might SEEM standard to a moron pizza delivery guy, but it is not. I know for a fact that 99% of my purchases, I give the cashier, waitress, clerk, etc. some money and they give me back my change.

I can't recall the clerk in a grocery store asking me how much change I want, or the gas station attendent after a $19.95 fill up asking me if I want change back from my $20

Of course, in conjunction with the moron pizza delivery guy who thinks giving customers their change is a pain, or asking instead of waiting to receive tips, is standard -- are the morons who don't know how to count out change.

If the cash register didn't tell them what to give you, they wouldn't have a clue. And then they give it to you in a big lump, instead of counting it out. BUT THAT IS A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC OF "STANDARD" BEHAVIOR in our increasingly rude stupid society.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:54 PM

I've delivered pizza, I've driven cabs. I consider 15% average....and if I order a tip-able service I generally go 20% and round up to the next dollar. Others say "If you're bringing me food, it's worth at least $5". Others are tightwads playing power games and convince themselves they'll "tip well" unless challenged, in which case they go on some ridiculous ego trip and feel justified tipping $0.

Come on, people.....if you're willing to pay for delivery and they deliver you the expected item in the expected time, then give them 15-20%. If you can't afford that, than don't order the freaking food in the first place.

If they give horrible service or are late, then it's a different situation, but geez....don't order delivery if you can't afford to tip or need to find some nit reason not to tip. Grow up. It's a cupla bucks more for a pizza....phone in the order and drive there and pick it up yourself if you're too damn cheap to tip. It's not complicated.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 PM

Wow, power trip much? Don't take out your angst on the delivery dude... the downfall of society is not specifically his fault.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:11 PM

I paid for my pizza the other day with all change.

Does this make me cheap?

The way I looked at, the sock drawer payed for pizza that night.

Granted it was all loonies and toonies, but I still felt kind of cheap. And I gave the girl $16 for a $14.32 bill. I thought that was fair.