Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 10-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Official September sales numbers (360 takes it, PS3 falling furth

Having owned the PS3 for about 6 months before I sold it and picked up a 360, here's my opinion.

PS3 has the superior console as far as features. The ease of using the hard drive for whatever you want is very cool. I played Resistance a ton, and I don't understand why this game didn't rate better. After GTA IV got delayed, I didn't see anything in the near future that interested me so I sold it. Sure it will get there eventually, but the 360's age on the market gives it a huge upper hand.

So I picked up the 360 and now I have a lot of games to choose from, enough that I never get bored like I did after beating Resistance 4 times and once on superhuman difficulty.

It's a shame that the PS3 is always cast in such a bad light because no one cares about how it compares to the 360's first year. It doesn't really matter though because the fact is that the 360 has been out longer and has more and better games, and that's what people want and pay for, not performance on a relative time scale.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:10 PM

ps3 may beat 360 yet...a few arguments:

a) it is selling better than/same as 360 did its first year
b) it's doing a) even tho it has to compete with 360/wii while 360 had no next-gen competition and ps3 cost more
c) sony has bigger brand when it comes to video games...once it has a good library people will forget this past year and buy it cause they remember ps2's selection
d) 360 doesn't sell well in asia, specifically japan...

so i wouldn't count the ps3 out yet...what may doom ps3 is the fact that it is behind the other 2 so lack of developer support is what would harm it...if it gets developer support at some point, then games start coming out, then it will do even better
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 PM

The problem with the poor PS3 sales isn't so much the sales themself, but that it can lead to a vicious cycle for the long term. People are not buying a PS3 due to a poor selection of games. Developers are not rushing to make games for it since it has the smallest userbase and that userbase is rapidly shrinking relative to the other two major consoles. So you end up with people not buying it because there's no games and developers not making games for it since nobody's buying it.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ps3 may beat 360 yet...a few arguments:

a) it is selling better than/same as 360 did its first year
b) it's doing a) even tho it has to compete with 360/wii while 360 had no next-gen competition and ps3 cost more
c) sony has bigger brand when it comes to video games...once it has a good library people will forget this past year and buy it cause they remember ps2's selection
d) 360 doesn't sell well in asia, specifically japan...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 360 has been competing with the PS3 since the day the 360 was launched. Everybody expected the PS3 to be an absolutely phenomenal system. Just consider how many people do you know that decided to just wait for a PS3 instead of picking up a 360. On another level the 360 has also been competing with itself to shed the image that it created with the original XBox.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:49 PM

Sony made a massive [censored] with the initial machine and its price. I wonder how many people were on the fence between the two, then heard the price for PS3 and were like "damn, well 360 time", just my 2 cents.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sony made a massive [censored] with the initial machine and its price. I wonder how many people were on the fence between the two, then heard the price for PS3 and were like "damn, well 360 time", just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be me.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 360 is not cheaper if you want HDMI, a big HDD, and wireless (not to mention HD-DVD capability), but it is nice that you don't have to get it all at the same time if you don't want to.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM

My 360 came with a HDMI, HD, and wireless controller for 350.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My 360 came with a HDMI, HD, and wireless controller for 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

That happened at a point in time where the PS3 was also cheaper at $500 and still had a larger HD, wireless connectivity ($100 for 360) and a blu ray player ($180 equivalent for 360).
Old 10-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Is it possible to really max out your HD usage? I'm yet to come even close to filling up my 20 gig HD (that's how big the standard one w/ the premium system is, right?), and I download a fair amount of demos and stuff, but I don't even play most of them anymore so I could easily delete them and be back up to 10gb free anytime I need space. The 120gb drive on the Elite just seems ridic. wtf could you possibly fill that up with?