Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 07-07-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Bonds is a selfish prick, Exhibit ZZZQ

And for those who still don't get it, yes I'm jokeing (trolling is such a nasty word). Both Ruth and Bonds are amazing players who dominated their eras and I don't believe you can say one is better than the other, it's just an unanswerable question.

And I don't care if Bonds used PEDs, or think that if he did it really enhanced his performance that much. I care only that he's a jerk.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine how much poorer Bond's numbers would be if he had to hit against Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, and he was competing with Michael Vick and Reggie Bush for an outfield spot? In the 20s Baseball was dominant and had little competition for talent from other sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

The comments above so you grasp little understanding of sports and athletics. Please don't hurt yourself.
Do you seriously think Reggie Bush could play MLB? Michael Jordan couldn't play Single A as the greatest basketball player to ever play.

Imagine if Babe Ruth has played tennis, we'd be saying Rod who.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine how much poorer Bond's numbers would be if he had to hit against Peyton Manning and Dan Marino, and he was competing with Michael Vick and Reggie Bush for an outfield spot? In the 20s Baseball was dominant and had little competition for talent from other sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

The comments above so you grasp little understanding of sports and athletics. Please don't hurt yourself.
Do you seriously think Reggie Bush could play MLB? Michael Jordan couldn't play Single A as the greatest basketball player to ever play.

Imagine if Babe Ruth has played tennis, we'd be saying Rod who.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly there are some players who would play in the MLB if the NBA, NFL, and possibly even NHL didn't exist as options. Maybe Reggie Bush and Michael Vick, maybe someone else that we don't know (Pacman Jones?). Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson are examples, in Jackson's case how many more games would he have played in baseball if he had quit football before his injury?

Remember that the talent pool in the MLB has become so depleted that the Giants used to have Willie Mays in CF, now they have Dave Roberts. And Juane Pierre is playing ... in the MLB ... as a starting centerfielder...

[ QUOTE ]
And for those who still don't get it, yes I'm jokeing

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 PM

You may be joking, but you definitely believe some of the things you are posting and that is sad.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:49 PM

babe ruth used doctored bats, who gives a [censored]
Old 07-07-2007, 08:08 PM

I really liked this
http://sayhey.wordpress.com/2007/07/...nds-of-course/
Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 PM

DesertCat,

Juan Pierre is just as good as Deion. Their career EqA numbers are .258 to .259. If you look over Bo Jackson's stats, he would ride the bench for the Yankees. Bo gets more love than he deserves for a corner outfielder with a .281 career EqA.

You seriously believe that those two individuals would greatly improve the quality of the MLB if they were playing?

The best players (barring a few AAA guys who should be called up already, and a couple Japanese guys etc.) in the world at playing baseball are playing baseball.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DesertCat,

Juan Pierre is just as good as Deion. Their career EqA numbers are .258 to .259. If you look over Bo Jackson's stats, he would ride the bench for the Yankees. Bo gets more love than he deserves for a corner outfielder with a .281 career EqA.

You seriously believe that those two individuals would greatly improve the quality of the MLB if they were playing?

The best players (barring a few AAA guys who should be called up already, and a couple Japanese guys etc.) in the world at playing baseball are playing baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you arguing that if Juan Pierre retired today, he'd be replaced by an equally skilled player? And that Deon and Bo would have been replaced by equally skilled players? Of course not, by definition even for all their flaws they are/were playing because they are the best available talent, and if they left they would be replaced by slightly less skilled players.

There are a ton of great athletes playing in the NBA and NFL. Just because Jordan didn't make it, doesn't mean others couldn't. For example, Jordan's height was probably a disadvantage in hitting, esp. when he didn't have the strength to go with it. And we will never know whether he could have been a decent player, as he never had the years of experience to develop his baseball skills. It's like saying that any prospect that sucked for a year in the low minors can never make the majors.

To make the blanket statement that the best baseball players are playing baseball is clearly wrong. All it takes is a single NFL player making it in the majors to disprove it. Shut down the NFL and I'll bet at least one make MLB rosters.

To support this, I don't have a complete list but NFL players drafted by MLB teams include Archie Manning, Steve Bartkowski, Joe Theismann, Dan Marino, John Elway, Jack Thompson , Curt Warner, Kevin House, Jay Schroeder, Billy Cannon Jr. (first round pick slid to 3rd after declaring he wouldn't sign, drafted by the Cowboys). NBA players drafted by MLB teams include Danny Ainge.

But my real argument is that it's impossible to compare eras. It seems like Barry is a lock to be better because of his era, due such a high level of dominance during an era with intl., african american and hispanic players, etc. I was just throwing out some counter arguments of factors that were in Ruth's favor. I.e. he was a pitcherand a damned good one, his level of dominance over his era was higher that Bonds, and baseball was the premier sport of Ruth's time, not Bonds. Factors like nutrition and training should be ignored because you assume Ruth could have benefited from them. Favor Barry if you want, but I don't call it a slam dunk.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:43 PM

Baseball players make so much more $ than NFL players, and at far less risk to their health. Why aren't NFL players dominating MLB?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baseball players make so much more $ than NFL players, and at far less risk to their health. Why aren't NFL players dominating MLB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause the Cubs piss money away on WRs.

DC,

Its "Kurt" Warner. Do you watch/read/participate in sports or just argue random thoughts that enter your mind?