Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 05-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: How do you feel about this...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golf is really more of a task for you guys rather then relaxing fun isn't it?

That is a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been trying to find the right saying for this sentiment. Thanks for phrasing it right.

[/ QUOTE ]Give me strength. It's not relaxing playing 5 hour rounds behind guys zig-zaging their way round the course in pairs in a small car. So yes it is a shame, we can't actually get to play golf rather than go go-karting. Luckily it's fairly rare in the UK at the moment, but we know that what America does, we eventually have to suffer too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, so youd rather have them being slow walking, or better yet, sacrificing their enjoyment for yours. Most people use a cart as a means of transportation to allow them to enjoy the game more, not as the transportation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they play quickly it doesn't affect me if somebody rides a cart. However, if they play slow, as most four ball groups in 2 carts seem to do, it is a problem. It is also a false choice you present. Walking does not mean slow play. You can play bad and walk and play quickly.

edited to add: carts affect all players by increasing fees because of the expense of paths. Also, putting roads on courses is unfortunate. But once playing, if I can walk and am not slowed down by people driving in circles....
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golf is really more of a task for you guys rather then relaxing fun isn't it?

That is a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive been trying to find the right saying for this sentiment. Thanks for phrasing it right.

[/ QUOTE ]Give me strength. It's not relaxing playing 5 hour rounds behind guys zig-zaging their way round the course in pairs in a small car. So yes it is a shame, we can't actually get to play golf rather than go go-karting. Luckily it's fairly rare in the UK at the moment, but we know that what America does, we eventually have to suffer too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, so youd rather have them being slow walking, or better yet, sacrificing their enjoyment for yours. Most people use a cart as a means of transportation to allow them to enjoy the game more, not as the transportation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactely.

Put those slow people HDPM just referred to on foot and then see how long that round takes.

Also, some of the discourse must be directed at the golf course starter for cramming as many people onto the course as possible in the name of profit.

In addition, not every course in the world sits on a piece of land owned by someone who built the course 'for the love of the game'.

In the Bay Area especially, courses sit on prime real estate that could easily be sold for millions and millions of dollars. If it where not for the volume of players and in some respects, the carts, your average green fee's would be much much (much) higher.

I'm pretty sure most of us could agree that green fee's are already high enough.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 PM

he looks like an idiot... let him carry on
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM

How much do those things weigh? I'm not a science/physics guy at all, but it seems like the weight would be much more distributed under the wheels than a cart with 4 wheels, so I'm curious about possible damage those things could cause.

Especially in the NW, where the courses can be a bit wet. I know you're not supposed to be able to tip those over easily, but think people would get in a ton of accidents with these, trying to go down hills, etc.

That being said I'd try it in a heartbeat if I had the chance!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much do those things weigh? I'm not a science/physics guy at all, but it seems like the weight would be much more distributed under the wheels than a cart with 4 wheels, so I'm curious about possible damage those things could cause.

Especially in the NW, where the courses can be a bit wet. I know you're not supposed to be able to tip those over easily, but think people would get in a ton of accidents with these, trying to go down hills, etc.

That being said I'd try it in a heartbeat if I had the chance!

[/ QUOTE ]

120 lbs per the company web page...so the distributed weight of the player + equipment + itself over two wheels is far, far less than that of one of John Daly's golf shoes on the green. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 AM

Awesome. Totally Awesome. I might go play San Ho just to use the contraption.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 AM

Fat...

Though I am absolutely with you in spirit, your argument is apples versus oranges:

Modern golf course design in the United States is subordinate to real estate development -- a ratio of so many building sites per fairway, if you will. Consequently, distances from green to next tee are daunting physically and time consuming, as often are distances from clubhouse to opening tee and even the ninth green to the 10th tee. Prodigious changes in elevation are also common, as golf courses are sited in unusual and unnatural locations; courses are built in spite of the topography, not because of it.

Further, there is a cultural bias against trolleys and economic biases against caddies.

Further, golf cart rental is a significant profit center for golf club operations. Clubs discovered this decades ago and took cart rental profits away from club professionals, which turned golf pros into retail shop operators for their bread and butter which, in my view, ruined golf -- PGA pros were forced to abandon their traditional roles as teachers and club-fitters and standard bearers and were reduced to boutique shirt salesmen.

Further, many regions in the U.S. in mid-summer are brutally hot, unlike the U.K. and much of Europe. Walking in these conditions can be medically threatening, particularly for older players -- even those of us who are relatively fit and prefer to walk. (My adjustment, now that I play infrequently and only for a bit of hit-and-giggle, is seven clubs and a pair of trainers on my feet.)
Old 06-04-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome. Totally Awesome. I might go play San Ho just to use the contraption.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many beers do we need before that thing gets totally dangerous, 'Cat?

I think we need to find out.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fat...

Though I am absolutely with you in spirit, your argument is apples versus oranges:

Modern golf course design in the United States is subordinate to real estate development -- a ratio of so many building sites per fairway, if you will. Consequently, distances from green to next tee are daunting physically and time consuming, as often are distances from clubhouse to opening tee and even the ninth green to the 10th tee. Prodigious changes in elevation are also common, as golf courses are sited in unusual and unnatural locations; courses are built in spite of the topography, not because of it.

Further, there is a cultural bias against trolleys and economic biases against caddies.

Further, golf cart rental is a significant profit center for golf club operations. Clubs discovered this decades ago and took cart rental profits away from club professionals, which turned golf pros into retail shop operators for their bread and butter which, in my view, ruined golf -- PGA pros were forced to abandon their traditional roles as teachers and club-fitters and standard bearers and were reduced to boutique shirt salesmen.

Further, many regions in the U.S. in mid-summer are brutally hot, unlike the U.K. and much of Europe. Walking in these conditions can be medically threatening, particularly for older players -- even those of us who are relatively fit and prefer to walk. (My adjustment, now that I play infrequently and only for a bit of hit-and-giggle, is seven clubs and a pair of trainers on my feet.)

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect