Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Re: So I want to start exercising

[ QUOTE ]
See, I'm not going to do something I don't enjoy. I don't see why exercise has to be crappy. I'm sure with the use of intelligence I can find an enjoyable and easy way to get in shape without spending money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're probably not going to get in very good shape. I mean, maybe you'll make some progress, but have you ever heard the saying "Nothing worth doing is easy"? It's true.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:37 AM

Grease the groove is so easy you'll barely notice you're exercising.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 AM

I recommend starting here
Old 04-26-2006, 02:17 AM

My only advice would be to pick a few activities that you enjoy and rotate them. For me, I like to walk, swim, bike, and basketball. Rotating activities is key, works out different parts, and just makes it harder from getting burned out on a single activity all the time.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:41 AM

You can still do pushups, you just have to balance on your knees instead of on your feet.

It won't be as much of a workout as a regular pushup, but you'll feel the burn if you are a beginner at exercising.

Because you were a smoker, I imagine you won't be able to do a ton of aerobic exercise to begin with, but eventually your lungs should be ok and you can do a ton of aerobics.

Melch
Old 04-26-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can still do pushups, you just have to balance on your knees instead of on your feet.

It won't be as much of a workout as a regular pushup, but you'll feel the burn if you are a beginner at exercising.

Because you were a smoker, I imagine you won't be able to do a ton of aerobic exercise to begin with, but eventually your lungs should be ok and you can do a ton of aerobics.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

A push-up on your knees but done with ONE arm is a decent alternative.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:35 AM

Are you in college? Join a bunch of intramural leagues and just play sports. It will get you in shape and its much more fun than doing "Exersises".

If you arent in college look and see if your city has similiar activities, or just take a class at the college, you can actually take like tennis or walking and crap like that as credited courses.

You could also take the money you save by not smoking and join a gym. Id recommend finding something you like doing thats also a good form of exercise. Rock climbing or raquet ball or anything you think is interesting.

Id let that foot heal first tho
Old 04-26-2006, 02:42 AM

Buy "The Naked Warrior" at Amazon. It's about half price there. Two bodyweight exercises that are quite hard but will give you a very close to complete work-out in 10 to 15 minutes. Read Blarg's review at the bottom of the page on the www.dragondoor.com website. The author, Pavel, saw the post and asked me to cut and paste it as a review, so it's sloppy and doesn't look like a regular review.

Keep in mind that the point of the book is not the two exercises, but HOW to exercise properly, using these two full-body exercises as detailed examples. Get past the shock of the cheesy advertising and you'll find some serious business inside.

That site has completely awesome fitness articles and one of the best forums I've ever seen on any subject, by the way.

Trust me on this; you will get an unbelievable value for your 13 bucks or whatever, even if you do neither of the exercises. And you can sub your own exercises in anyway, and use the principles using weights as well as bodyweight exercises.

If you are too freaked out about 13 bucks to even spend that much, use the search function at the forums and check the articles there. You will find detailed info on the "grease the groove" style of strength training, and I guarantee you will make very rapid progress. I did, coming back from being bedridden for months to being fairly strong in half a year's time. Check my "review" as noted under the www.dragondoor.com Naked Warrior section, it's down at the bottom and is a typical huge Blarg post. Sloppier than most, better than some.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:43 PM

Take it slow buddy. You need to build up lung capacity. If you break yourself in the first session of whatever you do, you won't keep it up.

Little by little. I gave up smoking before Christmas and am getting there.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to walk so that is definitely in.

[/ QUOTE ]

My newest dog has a lot of energy and I had to start walking her. While it's not much, the two miles a day I walk her every day has given me a lot more energy. Give it a whirl.