Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: 10,000 Galaxies: A Hubble Telescope Image

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at this picture, how can there be people that think there isn't life elsewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who thinks this? In such a grossly vast universe you'd have to be insanely naive to believe we are alone in this universe.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Looking at this picture, how can there be people that think there isn't life elsewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who thinks this? In such a grossly vast universe you'd have to be insanely naive to believe we are alone in this universe.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many people that don't believe in alien life. I'd say the majority are religious freaks. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are still more people that don't believe in extraterrestrial life than people that do.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many people that don't believe in alien life. I'd say the majority are religious freaks . I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there are still more people that don't believe in extraterrestrial life than people that do.

[/ QUOTE ]
If some people can't believe in the existence of dinosaurs it's not suprising the majority of people don't believe in aliens.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who think the entire universe was created just for us 6,000 years ago by a great spirit who lives in the sky.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if u go straight ahead forever, where would u end?

[/ QUOTE ]

The concept of eternity says there is no end, no?

I don't get why it's hard to wrap your noodle around the fact that something is never ending [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, that picture definitely makes me think there has to be life somewhere...

[/ QUOTE ]

How can something physical be enternal, or never ending? I do not beleive this to be true and I also beleive astronomers believe there to be limits to our solar system. Anyone know the consenus?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who think the entire universe was created just for us 6,000 years ago by a great spirit who lives in the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]
They better appreciate their time while they can... Ragnorak could arrive anyday!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They better appreciate their time while they can... Ragnorak could arrive anyday!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ragnarok just called. He said he's running a little late, and to just blind him off.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:19 PM

What do you know about applications of micromirror or other MEMS technology in astronomy? My senior project involves umirrors, so I'm interested to learn about other applications. My capstone advisor mentioned that they are used in astronomy, and I assumed that they were either used to correct for atmospheric effects or to correct for imperfect mirrors/optics. Any info or links would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:20 PM

Don't some (many? most?) scientists think the universe as we know it is curved? Basically you will never reach the end, as it's one big sphere or whatever. Of course if that's the case then what is outside that giant sphere?

Swede
Old 03-08-2006, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Space is neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love watching the first minute of Contact.
At the risk of sounding cliché, and whether astronomically accurate or not, it still makes me feel terribly small.

(For those that don't know it, it's a gradual zoom out from earth, through the solar system, galaxy and beyond.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Love that scene. There is also sound which gradually trails off to silence. You could hear a pin drop when I saw it in the movie theater. Very cool.