Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: I found $100 left in ATM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do you one way deeper...maybe 7 years ago when I was 18 years old, I walked up to an ATM I always use. No one around, not a person in sight...and I hear the familiar beeping of a transaction not yet completed...I walk up to the ATM and it says "Would you like another transaction?" I press yes and withdraw $600 which I know is the limit per transaction. I then keep withdrawing $600 a pop until the limit is reached. I withdrew $1,500 or $1,800 total I think. This was back when $1,500 to $1,800 exceeded my entire net worth.

I was paranoid for an entire week that the police would show up at my door at any moment with the ATM videotape as evidence. They never did and I forgot all about it...until now 7 years later...

[/ QUOTE ]
how much crack did you buy?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll do you one way deeper...maybe 7 years ago when I was 18 years old, I walked up to an ATM I always use. No one around, not a person in sight...and I hear the familiar beeping of a transaction not yet completed...I walk up to the ATM and it says "Would you like another transaction?" I press yes and withdraw $600 which I know is the limit per transaction. I then keep withdrawing $600 a pop until the limit is reached. I withdrew $1,500 or $1,800 total I think. This was back when $1,500 to $1,800 exceeded my entire net worth.

I was paranoid for an entire week that the police would show up at my door at any moment with the ATM videotape as evidence. They never did and I forgot all about it...until now 7 years later...

[/ QUOTE ]
how much crack did you buy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Zero!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats--you just won $100. As the others said, there's no way to find out who withdrew it, so it's yours now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is. ATMs keep records of transactions. The last transaction must've left the money behind. This is not rocket science.

The ethically right thing to do is to contact the bank and return the money. The money belongs to someone else, who earned it. Someone doesn't lose the right to their property because they left it in a public place.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM

Lol happened to me once.

Some guy was drunk in a club in front of me and left without getting any money going 'stupid [censored] machine' and i used it to get £40 out and looked in the tray underneath and there was £90. I was like 'ahhh did i mess up or something' checked my bank a few days later and it wasnt mine and then i clicked so drunk guys in front of you at the ATM ftw.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I call Wells Fargo? What should I do with the money? What should I have done differently? etc

[/ QUOTE ]

are you questioning what you can get away with or what you morally feel comfortable with? i dont think there's much issue whether you CAN keep it if you want. i also think most people would pocket it and think of it as free money.

personally, i would most likely call the bank and explain to them what happened and see if the money could be returned to whomever it belongs to. if they couldnt/wouldnt track down who it belonged to, id keep it and my conscious would be clear.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:48 AM

I once walked up to a citibank atm and the person before me hadn't closed out their transaction. It was saying my account balance was $100,000+ and do I want another transaction. I looked around and realized that there was NO way I was not on a camera (it was one of those atm rooms in Manhattan) so I wussed out and didn't drain the account.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM

You keep it. If you don't, the next person who uses the ATM will. If you want to feel better about yourself for keeping it, donate part of it to charity or buy a gift for your mother or something fluffy nice like that.

Or parlay it into a hooker and/or blow. Your call.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once walked up to a citibank atm and the person before me hadn't closed out their transaction. It was saying my account balance was $100,000+ and do I want another transaction. I looked around and realized that there was NO way I was not on a camera (it was one of those atm rooms in Manhattan) so I wussed out and didn't drain the account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad fold sir.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:58 AM

$100... keep it, not worth trying to find out who's it is. If it were 10k it'd be another story.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM

legally (if anyone cares) this is stealing.