Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Undisciplined Players

"Undisciplined" may not be the word I'm looking for, it sounds too pretentious, but I can't think of any other way to describe the people I play poker with. This is free, for-points B&M NL poker and a lot of the players are the type who've learned from someone who've learned from someone else. I don't think a one of them has ever read a poker book, so what you have are the "play any 2 cards" from any position types, super-bluffers, and major suck-out artists.

What is the point of trying to play smart, or at least ABC, poker when no one else does? It's not that I don't take chances, when I can, but I've found that for me, playing rag hands just doesn't work. Suited connectors and suited one-gappers? Seldom, if ever win with them. And there's no point for me to try and bluff. Even if I have a good hand and raise significantly, I get callers who then go on to suck out.

One example, I had A-K in the BB, with blinds 200/400, and raised it 1600 to go. I got one caller. He had Q-6o. This guy tabled a straight. Why was he even in the hand? I thought the idea of a raise was to weed out the poor hands.

Sometimes I leave these games with the worst tension headaches because I just don't know how to play against these types of players. Any advice?