Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums

Old 08-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Communities

No, your forums will always be thought of as "babies and gardens" to me. It is just a little too happy.

Where are the sewers of TLDR?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's not a ton of humor in TLDR.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT!

I tried to make a joke post in the lounge by posting a beer tasting trip report of Miller Lite.

It didn't get any love and I have not posted there since then.

Now I will go sulk in my corner.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, your forums will always be thought of as "babies and gardens" to me. It is just a little too happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not real gardens, where digging is required. Maybe you are thinking about herb gardens, where only trendy garden gloves and a spade is required?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BBV4L - Generally silly and juvenile. Not to be taken seriously, which is key to the fun. It appears to be moderated to make sure posts adhere to 2+2 policies and sometimes for tone, but rarely for quality. If you're not breaking a rule, no post can be too stupid for BBV4L.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a decent assessment, although we have loads of unwritten rules and inside jokes and the like that most won't get unless a regular poster/luker.
And believe me, a post can be too stupid for BBV4L. We encourage those guys to go to OOT, and judging by the amount of *'s there were around here, they did. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is about right, but I think the tone of the forum is changing a bit. It used to be more laid-back and welcoming, now there's too much flaming and feuds. Hijacking threads is way better than "BAN" and "diagf" and all that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but there have been some realy awful posts made lately (OOT Rejects). But yeah, I think we should go back to the hijacks. You in? It takes more than one you know...
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... I think we should go back to the hijacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Thai music.

She's pretty cool.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BBV4L - Generally silly and juvenile. Not to be taken seriously, which is key to the fun. It appears to be moderated to make sure posts adhere to 2+2 policies and sometimes for tone, but rarely for quality. If you're not breaking a rule, no post can be too stupid for BBV4L.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a decent assessment, although we have loads of unwritten rules and inside jokes and the like that most won't get unless a regular poster/luker.
And believe me, a post can be too stupid for BBV4L. We encourage those guys to go to OOT, and judging by the amount of *'s there were around here, they did. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is about right, but I think the tone of the forum is changing a bit. It used to be more laid-back and welcoming, now there's too much flaming and feuds. Hijacking threads is way better than "BAN" and "diagf" and all that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been lurking and occasionally posting in BBV for some time now, and I find myself visiting the forum less and less for exactly that reason.

BBV at it's finest is creative, playful and subversive. On the surface it might seem like just a bunch of kids throwing around [censored]. But it's more than that. While admittedly there is a high ratio of genuinely crappy posts, the silly banter between the regulars, the stinging one-liners and the awesome MS-paints more than weigh up for that. The gold shines brighter in BBV. Partly because it's surrounded by more crap than elsewhere, but also because the forum doesn't take itself too seriously. It's that chill, laid-back attitude I'm starting to miss.

Compare that to OOT. Tired old discussions that have been circling around the tubes since the early days of usenet. Don't get me wrong, there's still a fair number of interesting OP's and posters in OOT, but you can only take so many top 5 [insert adjective] [movies/books/artists] and relationship advice threads. It gets tiresome.

BBV is the forum equivalent of Lars Von Trier's famous dogme movie Idioterne where a bunch of otherwise intelligent people sets out to find their "inner idiots". That's what BBV is about - don't take yourself too seriously. [censored] around. Unwind. Have some fun. As someone who works pretty hard these days and even try to put in some time for poker, that's at least what I most often look for in a forum.

I also think it's a misconception to characterize BBV as "low-brow" or "stupid" because of it's tone. Some of the most intelligent posts on 2+2 has been written in BBV. There can be as much intelligence in a clever one-liner as a 5 page dissertation by Blarg. Perhaps even more.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Yeah, [censored] blarg
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 PM

so funny how times change. blarg was once thought of as one of the best and most knowledgeable/intelligent posters.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so funny how times change. blarg was once thought of as one of the best and most knowledgeable/intelligent posters.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty sure he still is. Or maybe not. I still think he is at least. It's just that he sometimes might be a little too.. elaborate?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

Of course he still is.