Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 07-13-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Beginning 1/2 NL grinding in Vegas

For some people, yes.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then, those same folks will bet huge (a $20 standard raise is not unusual)

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, standard at 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but that's wildly huge if your experience is online. The point is, if the standard raise is $20, and you have 3-4 players minimum (usually also true), then the flop bets and later get in the range of $80-100 very quickly. At that rate, someone buying in at even the $200 max is quickly forced to make all-in decisions on what should be a very standard hand.

Players that can accumulate $500-600 quickly can easily put a lot of other players in that situation and build themselves a major advantage by doing that.

If you want to go to Vegas as a casual player and play the minimum limits, you're highly vulnerable to that style of play. Even if you play ultra-tight and try to double up when you hit a monster, these same guys who could pay you off notice what you're doing pretty quick and then fold to your every raise.

To tell you the truth, I've mostly witnessed this play at Planet Hollywood, but the one time I played at the Bellagio it wasn't much better.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Expect to see a LOT of longball at 1/2 in Vegas. People will sit down with $3000 in their pockets and continually go all-in with their $200 buy-ins until they have a $400-$500 stack at the table. Then, those same folks will bet huge (a $20 standard raise is not unusual), and bully all the tourists out of their $300-$400 that they came to play with, usually $50 or so at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in Vegas almost a month now and haven't seen ANY of this. A couple guys I've seen buy in short over and over and get it in on the flop frequently, but most players are just retarded. They limp call preflop and check fold the flop almost all the time. Getting to showdown as an aggressive player is so rare it's not even funny, and you are rarely going to get it all in because generally live people don't like to call big bets and at 1/2nl they won't raise you without the mortal nuts.

I've seen sets folded countless times on the flop and even middling flushes folded on unpaired boards as well. basically none of these were good laydowns.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:02 AM

I like to think I'm succesfull at 100NL online...over 50,000 hands. Live 1/2NL in Vegas is very fishy. Plays like micro stakes, but with more money. I have had a problem live being called down with middle pair [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The one thing I cant agree with is haveing people fold sets, flushes...if they hit...they will go broke or bank with it.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen sets folded countless times on the flop and even middling flushes folded on unpaired boards as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this is at normal 1/2 NL tables in Vegas? I call shenanigans.