Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Bankroll and you.....?

I used to play 25nl on a 4 buyin bankroll. If you are confident enough to limit your variance by avoiding marginal situations I cant see why BR should be an issue. However obviously you need at least 20 if you play long term. I usually play with more, I like at least 30.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im bankroll nit, atm i play 50nl with ~4k roll

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fellow 50nl player with ~4k roll. I started playing .05/.1 with an initial deposit of 50 dollars and occasionally took shots short stacking at NL50 [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] with that roll so my bankroll managements hasn't always been great. I started playing .10/.25 when I hit about 400 and planned on following the 20 buyin rule and playing nl50 at 1000. By the time I got up to 1000 I learned much more about poker and my own tolerances and decided to play it safe and start following a 40 buyin rule. I'm almost up to 4k at which point I will move up to .5/1.

When you think about it 20 buyins sounds like its more then enough but when you think more about it you realize how it should actually be the bare minimum. If you lose 2 buyins which can happen incredibly fast 10% of your roll is gone. A 5 buyin loss which is perfectly possible in a couple hour session and 25% of your roll is gone. I don't have the psyche to be able to lose 25% of my roll in one session. It would eat at me for the entire night. When I played .05/.1 with a 100 dollar roll every bad beat hurt real bad. Now I can lose 50 dollars to a two outer and keep playing to my full ability because it is only a small fraction of my roll.

You can take what ever recommendations you want but if you are serious about poker I would suggest at least 30 buyins for your main level. Taking an occasional shot at a higher limit is fine but I wouldn't recommend doing it with more then 10% of your bankroll. I personally don't do that because I am a proud bankroll nit.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your not a nit, you're a coward

[/ QUOTE ]

I moved from limit to no-limit 2 months ago, in the middle of the march i took some shots on 100nl and was up 4-5bi in 4-5k hands, but meanwhile i was going through some huge TILTswing in 50nl (15bi i think), so i rather stay at 50nl for 20k more hands to reavaluate my play + im a huge tiltmonkey.
Hopefully ill move to 100nl next week.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:52 PM

15-20 BI, any more than that seems extremely excessive for uNL. If you drop some just move down a level for a few days. If you have more than 30 for a level in my opinion you are just wasting money because you could be making more at higher limits.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 PM

It also depends on your attitude towards you roll. A seasoned player, who for some reason had to cash out everything, may have the mental stability to play on an extremely tight bankroll. If you need a big bankroll buffer to play with a winning attitude then this is the best strategy to go with.

A winning attitude is a huge part of one's success and whatever roll makes one comfortable to have such an attitude is the right one.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You lost 7 buyins in one session? Man I don't think I even would play long enough for that to happen. If I lose 1 or maybe even 2 I am done for the day. I basically stop myself so I try never to tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the weekends I will play long sessions whether I'm winning or losing, tilting against better players or playing my "A" game against drunken retards. Worst loss at 50NL is 7 buy-ins. Also have had a few 6 buy-in wins in a session. The whole idea for me and my bankroll is to be able to play, and not worry about having to stop playing because I'm hurting my bankroll. With 35-40 buy-ins, I can play all day long even if I'm slightly losing, or stay in games where the players are good.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You lost 7 buyins in one session? Man I don't think I even would play long enough for that to happen. If I lose 1 or maybe even 2 I am done for the day. I basically stop myself so I try never to tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the weekends I will play long sessions whether I'm winning or losing, tilting against better players or playing my "A" game against drunken retards. Worst loss at 50NL is 7 buy-ins. Also have had a few 6 buy-in wins in a session. The whole idea for me and my bankroll is to be able to play, and not worry about having to stop playing because I'm hurting my bankroll. With 35-40 buy-ins, I can play all day long even if I'm slightly losing, or stay in games where the players are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, I guess I just play different. I do not like playing poker if I am losing online. I play online to gain money and better my game. Live games I have way more control of tilting. It is so easy just to click and bluff.
If I am not playing my best poker I simply log off or play some PLO.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:45 AM

if your goal is to move up then you should be aggressive with shot taking and at least try out the next level when you are rolled/comfortable. Theres no need to be playing 50nl with 4k.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 AM

I found it comfortable to play NL25 until my roll was over $1000. Then I took shots at NL50 with everything above that. When I got below $1000 I'd play NL25 again until I 'got it'. Now I'm doing the same with NL100 as my roll is at about $2100. So basically I'm moving up when I have over 20 buyins for the next level. I could do this with a smaller margin like 15 buyins but I'd tilt way easier as the potential losses would be a much bigger percentage of my roll. Whatever works for you... I started out with a 10 buy-in strategy at NL4-NL10 which worked fine but I've had to increase that ratio as I've moved up.

BTW I just realized the other day that I've been doubling my bankroll every month since I started playing. That's pretty amazing.. I hope it continues that way! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]