Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 03-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Blackberries / Treos / Smart Phones - Any good?

Most everybody had a 15-30 exchange period these days, but Windows mobile 6 is coming out soon and HTC and Samsung should be dropping new phones by the middle of this year.

If you want a VZW smartphone today I hear tremendously good things about the Samsung i730. It's being phased out because Samsung is coming out with it's replacement and last I checked Verizon was selling it for like $99 with a 2 year contract.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 AM

Not really what I'm looking for. I actually started looking at these because I just realized I'm paying $15/month for V-Cast or some [censored] that I don't use at all, but "internet" access is limited to a small collection of news headlines and checking my hotmail account. Of course I can't really do anything once I log in.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 AM

Im the very unproud owner of a treo 680 currently....my friend has a blackberry and its amazing....

Reason enough not to get a treo
Old 03-20-2007, 12:15 AM

jj- You can actually access any website that has a mobile-phone specific version by typing in the URL.

Still pretty worthless(few sites have mobile specific version and phone screens are tiny).
Old 03-20-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most everybody had a 15-30 exchange period these days, but Windows mobile 6 is coming out soon and HTC and Samsung should be dropping new phones by the middle of this year.

If you want a VZW smartphone today I hear tremendously good things about the Samsung i730. It's being phased out because Samsung is coming out with it's replacement and last I checked Verizon was selling it for like $99 with a 2 year contract.

[/ QUOTE ]
Microsoft says winmo6 will be available for free upgrade so I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for that.

I'd be surprised if they gave you much trouble about taking back whatever you got if it was recent, since you're going to be upgrading to a much more expensive phone/plan most likely.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im the very unproud owner of a treo 680 currently....my friend has a blackberry and its amazing....

Reason enough not to get a treo

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Based on what it sounds like he wants to do, I don't think any of the blackberry products are really the best fit.
2) I really don't think that is reason enough not to get a treo.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Microsoft says winmo6 will be available for free upgrade so I wouldn't worry too much about waiting for that.

I'd be surprised if they gave you much trouble about taking back whatever you got if it was recent, since you're going to be upgrading to a much more expensive phone/plan most likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, so true. That being said the employees I've dealt with at Verizon haven't been that capable/smart.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 AM

I'm at T-Mobile, and only pay $20/mo for unlimited data. I have a Sony Ericsson P900. You can get it unlocked, but I don't know if it is supported on Verizon, because they don't use SIM cards for their phones(I think).

I downloaded the Opera browser for my phone, and I don't have high-speed, but 2+2 downloads pretty quick. The thing is I don't load images, but you can change that. Consequently, I don't post on hand questions(can't see the suits). But for everything else, text is good enough. It will load a picture if you tell it to.

A P900 may be out your price range though. They are great phones, but fairly expensive. I guess you pay for quality. They did release a P910 with a QWERTY keyboard and a P990, which is the new one. Again, not sure if they work on Verizon since I've never had a phone with them, but I figured I'd at least mention it.

Also, check out Howardforums.com they have plenty of great info on cell phones.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm basically stuck with Verizon for phone service, so there'd have to be a big advantage in getting something with another provider. I have no desire to have two phones.

I'm not a big fan of Palm OS (I have a Palm Pilot that I got for free, and I never use it). I really like the idea of being able to view excel files on the pda as well as doing web surfing.

When I bought my phone from Verizon I'm sure I had a trial period. Does anybody know if they actually do that? If so I'll buy the 700wx right away and give 'er a test drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Treo 700p on Sprint and really enjoy it - I could never do a Q / BlackBerry / BlackJack / etc as I like the convenience of a touch screen which none of the others have

The iPhone looks cool but the cost is pretty high and I can do everything the iPhone can do on my Palm (granted the UI on the iPhone will be 100% better)

Also Sprint will let you try it out for 30 days

Also EVDO rev A is out in a lot of cities on Sprint and not as many on Verizon - this wont be an issue as neither carrier offers any rev A compatible phones (yet) and are just pushing the rev A data laptop cards - also when using a phone to brose the web, normal EVDO should be fine

If you really dont like the palm interface then the 700wx is worth a try
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 AM

I don't think the P9xx will do what I want. Part of the reason I want the QWERTY keyboard is that I want to be able to constantly jot down small notes. I can type fast on the small keyboards, I can't type that fast on on-screen keyboards or keypads. As for price, I'm not that worried about it. I figure the $50/month for 2 years is the big cost, whats a hundred or two dollars difference on the phone.