Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Taking shots at higher limits

I've been playing low limit B&M for a year (2/4, now 4/8-6/12) now and have never seen anyone buy in for 40bb in one shot. I get strange looks for buying in for $200 at 4.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 PM

If your b&m game has unlimited HU betting and a 5bet cap like around here buying in at least 35-40bbs is a good idea. 30BB swings are really not that uncommon in an active game so even buying in 40 you might have to reload occasionally. Also, its never a problem having too many bets on the table in limit, just too few. No reason to set yourself up for the latter. Obv i agree that if you cant round up 40BBs you shouldnt play in the game.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:26 AM

i dont argue that anything is impossible, all i am saying as that at some point in time, you need to realize its not a varience, its that the table or limit isnt right for u, namely, you suck, so instead of rebuying or overbuying a table, buy at 25-30 and find another one if u piss that much away
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Buying in for more than 25BB at my B&M 2/4 table would get you a lot of odd looks and raised eyebrows.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, i agree with this statement, buying in 40bb at a limit table is just ridiculous to me, and i have been beating the games for years buying in at 25
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM

insane but possible, come visit me at hawiian gardens anytime [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 09:29 AM

O yea, totally agree, if u buy 25bb, anytime u have less than 12bb in your stack, your loosing potential...very good point.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:36 AM

I dont play ridiculously long sessions, genreally they are after work sessions between 1-3 hours, but i will walk away if i do more than double at a point in time if the table isnt going to get pissy about it. None of the sessions of my 90% include sessions that i won less than 7bb (60 bucks). If it makes you feel any better, my online win ratio is 42% (and i am still very profitable). The sample size on the 90% is quite lower than a complete sample size, its not like this is over 600 sessions or anything, but i am completely crushing low limit hold em live at this point, and during my last 12 sessions...i have one 11, lost 1 and won 1200 bucks (approx 28 hours of play). I am a net player up to 20/40 limit, but have no roll because im waiting on 5k of cashout that i am certain at this point will never come, so im back to the little games. If you dont believe me, ill be at HG today, come look at my racks...
P.s. i only buy in for 25bb.
cheers
Old 03-18-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont argue that anything is impossible, all i am saying as that at some point in time, you need to realize its not a varience, its that the table or limit isnt right for u, namely, you suck, so instead of rebuying or overbuying a table, buy at 25-30 and find another one if u piss that much away

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is, 25-30 bets doesn't mean anything. That is easily a normal session swing. That's much more variance than it says anything about one's skill or ability to handle the limit. Way too small a sample to conclude it might be one's play based on the result.

If you're on a good table, there would be no reason to switch tables(of equal limits) just because you're running bad.

b
Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM

depends how good you are.

i just switched from $2-4 to $4-8 and have been very sucessful so far. been playing $2-4 holdem and $1-3 spread limit stud for the past year. now i'm 100% $4-8 limit. i book a winning session 75% of the time. i always buy in for 20 big bets, $80 in $2-4, and $160 in $4-8. point is, you should pick up a hand within that time frame so you wont go through your stack unless the table is too tough or you're making mistakes and it's better to limit your losses and try again the next day (my experience). you tend to lose more when you're losing, even an excellent player is succeseptipal [sp] to that happening.

sure, go ahead and take a shot at higher limits. but unless you find that game more profitable than your other game i don't see the point.

for bankroll considerations in general, i really only require 4 buy-ins, which is 80 big bets. alot of people say 200-300, and that might roll you for good, but for my purposes 80 is fine. something would have to go really wrong for me to lose 4 sessions straight, and even so, i could come up with another 20 big bets, no biggie.

a good player can't lose over the long run so i don't put too much value on bankroll considerations for a non full-time gambler like myself.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:29 AM

Running good is fun, isn't it?