Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: PHIL GORDON!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't the fact that he was wrong on the math on the one hand, it was the fact that when others questioned him, he like rolled his eyes and got all defensive.

And the Daniel comments, when he was "considering" folding aces full of kings, just makes it seem like he wants to be included with the bigger names so bad that its pathetic.

I think it was the Equalizer I was watching the other day on espn, and they were talking about the $50k horse event at last years wsop. The other announcer said that all of poker's most elite players played. Gordon, 100% serious, fires back, "well, almost all of them... I didn't play." That was more than enough for me to classify him as a joke. He just wants to be famous and popular like some of the other big names too bad.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:56 PM

And to whoever called Kaplan a rock? I've seen him on 2 poker after darks, on the Equalizer, and on High Stakes Poker, and in all, he has always been one of the most active players.

And I'd MUCH rather listen to Kaplan or Sexton anyday. Given the choice between Norman Chad and Phil Gordon, I'll take a rusty knife to the stomach please.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From Wikipedia on Phil Gordon:

"Gordon appeared on the reality dating show Blind Date. When he and his lingerie model date, LeAnna, returned to his touring bus, she suddenly mentioned that she had a hot tub in her home, as if to suggest that they make use of it. Gordon proclaimed that he was "allergic" to Hot Tubs, turning her down."

Case closed. OP is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see that episode? That chick was hugely annoying. If you were an independantly wealthy multimillionaire like Phil, do you think you would be desperate to bed a lingerie model? Phil probably has ten of them on booty call speed dial.

And for anyone who doubts whether Phil can play, here is the rest of the Wiki on him.

[ QUOTE ]

World Series of Poker

Phil Gordon first entered The World Series of Poker(WSOP) Main Event in 2001 and finished 4th, winning $400,000.[1] In 2002 he made two more WSOP final tables, finishing 6th in the $2,000 Pot Limit hold 'em event and 3rd in the $2,500 Omaha Hi/Lo Split event.[1] At the 2005 WSOP he finished 3rd in the $1,500 No Limit Texas hold 'em Shootout event. Although he made several WSOP final tables, he has yet to win a bracelet. To date, Gordon has won $641,073 at the World Series of Poker.

World Poker Tour

Gordon made one World Poker Tour(WPT) final table in 2002, finishing 5th in the Ultimate Bet Poker Classic. In March 2004 he knocked out two players at once (one of whom was Chris Moneymaker) to win the WPT's "Bay 101 Shooting Stars" tournament.[1]

Also in 2002, Gordon won the professional division of the World Poker Tour (WPT) inaugural tournament in Aruba, before losing to the amateur division's winner, Juha Helppi.

On Thanksgiving Day 2006, Gordon won the Full Tilt Poker Championship at Red Rock, beating Roland De Wolfe heads-up and taking down a purse of $600,000.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it was the Equalizer I was watching the other day on espn, and they were talking about the $50k horse event at last years wsop. The other announcer said that all of poker's most elite players played. Gordon, 100% serious, fires back, "well, almost all of them... I didn't play." That was more than enough for me to classify him as a joke. He just wants to be famous and popular like some of the other big names too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think u are missunderstanding Gordon here. Im almost sure (without seeing that show) that Gordon was making a joke at his expense.

Im not a Gordon fan but im not a Gordon hater either but i did really enjoy his live WSOP final table commentary.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gabe Kaplan is a noted rock. And maybe Phil was thinking about putting in a raise (and maybe hollywooding to sell it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmm....no. I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

I am not ignorant enough to say someone sucks based on one hand...however, I think his behavior on that hand was pretty telling.

I also enjoyed his WSOP ME FT commentary. He seems like a really nice guy, who is knowledgeable about poker. However, my feeling is that he's not one of the best.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and according to your logic since gordon had more final table appearances than me, i am not allowed to have an opinion. if that is the case 99% of us should never criticize a pro's play. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said. I said you were analyzing this hand based on the little bit of the tournament a TV editor allowed you to see. You are belittling him without knowing what his read was (maybe he had a tell on Kaplan that he was extremely strong), what action had preceded, or even whether he was thinking of raising.

My point about his WSOP final table appearance was just that he's an accomplished player. If you want to believe you're better player than Phil, then you must have a better poker resume, right?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other announcer said that all of poker's most elite players played. Gordon, 100% serious, fires back, "well, almost all of them... I didn't play." That was more than enough for me to classify him as a joke. He just wants to be famous and popular like some of the other big names too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not hear this, but I am almost sure that Phil was mostly joking.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM

lol, yah based on that one hand im a better player than phil gordon, lolmfao. no one is saying they are better than him, this thread is basically a 'phil gordon is a douche' thread. stop raining on our parade, go make another thread [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you see that episode? That chick was hugely annoying. If you were an independantly wealthy multimillionaire like Phil, do you think you would be desperate to bed a lingerie model? Phil probably has ten of them on booty call speed dial.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the old Tiltboy trip reports that were posted to RGP, Phil had a reputation as a notorious pussy hound who would hit on every MILFy old skank that happened to sit at his table.

Also, his job on Celebrity Poker may well have introduced him to a bunch of celebrity [censored] buddies, seduced by his mad card playing skills.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:52 PM

For an experienced pro, he whines a lot and I've seen him make some pretty bad plays. I'm sure he's a decent enough player, but the guy started out with millions of dollars.

He's got the little fish icon on sharkscope. -25% ROI? Granted it's a sample size of 42.

Do we really know that this guy is a winning player at all? Not like it would be hard to hide losses.