Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2006, 12:36 AM

Default Party Poker Pop-up

I apologize if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it. I just logged on to Party Poker, and got the following pop-up:

"Consumers in favor of the right to play poker online.

The United States Congress has passed a bill that seeks to prevent you from playing cash poker online. If, as expected, that bill is signed into law by President Bush on Friday 13th October many of your favorite sites will cease taking deposites and wagers from American players and that includes your very favorite - PartyPoker.com

If, like us, you think that's unfair and unjust, have your say now"

And then a big red button that says "Click here to have your say"

Clicking on the button brings up another pop-up, this one a pre-writeen form letter that you can customize. It has your name, e-mail and zip code already inside the informational boxes. The letter says:

To Whom It May Concern

I am a voter, I am a poker player and I am mad.

Under your watch, Congress passed legislation that prohibits me from playing the great game of poker on the Internet. Legislation that impacts millions online poker players in the United States like me deserves more debate than a back-room deal. You have an opportunity to correct this injustice.

Poker is a great American game with deep roots in this country. Throughout history presidents, generals, Members of Congress, Supreme Court justices and average citizens have enjoyed poker with family and friends. Poker is what I like to do for entertainment, just like a round of golf or going to a movie.

Unlike other forms of gambling, poker is not a game of chance. It is a game where performance is merited and a community game where the "house" is not your competition. These are real and significant differences. Simply putting the word "Internet" in front of poker does not change the qualities of the game and it should not make the people who play it suspect.

I am urging you to support amending this new Internet gambling law so that it has an exemption for poker. Please note, that other forms of Internet gambling such as horseracing, lotteries and fantasy sports are already protected under this law. An exemption for poker is not unreasonable, it is good public policy and would help preserve and protect an American tradition.

I look forward to your support for a poker exemption.

Again, I am a voter, I am a poker player and I remember.

Faithfully,

(Spot for Name)"

Then there's a check mark to agree the mail can be sent to your representative, along with a button to click to send it.

Interesting that they would wait this long to inform the players. Trying to make some last minute cash, or were they holding out hope they could come up with another alternative?