Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
As far as it biting you in the ass, anything that keeps people separate inevitably bites them in the ass, but I've seen a lot more Asians wanting to keep to themselves than being shunned or teased. Guess that might have something to do with growing up in Guam and Hawaii, but I've been on the mainland for a long time now, and it still strikes me the same. I never really knew white racists until I got to the mainland, but even those weren't bothered by Asians. Fairly typical of white behavior might be that Asians even in very prejudiced places, even back in the 20's, were treated as a big step up from blacks, and let use the same facilities as whites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,
i also didn't experience racism until i came up here. I've had bums refuse my money because they "aint takin no charity from your kind (japanese)" in the late 80's in oregon. I've had had two drunk vietnam vets (so they claim) tell me that they "killed your kind in the war" (I assume they thought I was vietnamese?) in san jose in the mid 90's. I've had white guys talk to me in a sing-song fake chinese accent in san francisco in the late 90's. I've been told that it must be nice that my women are so willing to serve their man.

a big lol to all the white guys in this thread telling me that there's no racism against asians today. lol at them telling me that i'm too sensitive. lol at them thinking that they're so dialed in and un-racist that they're somehow allowed to use racial slurs because they really don't mean them.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As far as it biting you in the ass, anything that keeps people separate inevitably bites them in the ass, but I've seen a lot more Asians wanting to keep to themselves than being shunned or teased. Guess that might have something to do with growing up in Guam and Hawaii, but I've been on the mainland for a long time now, and it still strikes me the same. I never really knew white racists until I got to the mainland, but even those weren't bothered by Asians. Fairly typical of white behavior might be that Asians even in very prejudiced places, even back in the 20's, were treated as a big step up from blacks, and let use the same facilities as whites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,
i also didn't experience racism until i came up here. I've had bums refuse my money because they "aint takin no charity from your kind (japanese)" in the late 80's in oregon. I've had had two drunk vietnam vets (so they claim) tell me that they "killed your kind in the war" (I assume they thought I was vietnamese?) in san jose in the mid 90's. I've had white guys talk to me in a sing-song fake chinese accent in san francisco in the late 90's. I've been told that it must be nice that my women are so willing to serve their man.

a big lol to all the white guys in this thread telling me that there's no racism against asians today. lol at them telling me that i'm too sensitive. lol at them thinking that they're so dialed in and un-racist that they're somehow allowed to use racial slurs because they really don't mean them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I get ripped on if I actually cared about the stereotypcal italian portrayals, the "guido" jokes, and having people come up to me ans assuming Im in the mob, and that our women are know how to cook? How come the asians in this thread are allowed to get away with teh wop jokes? I mean you rarely get this much nowadays:

But I see tons of this:

Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM

Silent,

Of course I recognize that, and my post stated as much. I just think it's an entirely separate subject than the one we're discussing. Other than areas close to native populations, Native Americans and their plight have largely fallen through the cracks of our national mindset. It's the result of a "successful" conquest, whereas the situation with other minorities is unsuccessful integration.

M2d,

[ QUOTE ]
a big lol to guids in this thread telling me that there's no racism against asians today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few people are actually saying there's no racism. I don't even think guids is saying that, but with him it comes off like that a little bit.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Silent,

Of course I recognize that, and my post stated as much. I just think it's an entirely separate subject than the one we're discussing. Other than areas close to native populations, Native Americans and their plight have largely fallen through the cracks of our national mindset. It's the result of a "successful" conquest, whereas the situation with other minorities is unsuccessful integration.

M2d,

[ QUOTE ]
a big lol to guids in this thread telling me that there's no racism against asians today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few people are actually saying there's no racism. I don't even think guids is saying that, but with him it comes off like that a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, Im not saying that, Im sure there is, I just dont think its anything to actually give a [censored] about, I equate it to "wop" or whatever, and not much more malicious than the names that irish or italians get called. Ive had my black friends callled n***** before, Ive never heard anyone say anything to my asian friends, but this is just my experience.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 PM

I've seen it happen, but the prejudice and exclusiveness I've seen among Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese extremely regularly puts to shame the negativity I've seen flowing back from whites to Asians.

Then again, I'm not Asian even part-time, so my sample size is smaller than someone who's got that gig full-time.

Still, I think it's notable that when it comes to prejudice, a HUGE percentage of Asians, now and in the past, really have to clean their own house before they get too carried away with feeling like it's always other people excluding and looking down on them. I've bumped into huge amounts of prejudice from Asians before, and it's hardly something that's dead and gone. Asian prejudice and ethnic rivalry is a gigantic part of their past and very much alive in the present.

So, the pot is indeed black, but when it's the kettle saying it ...
Old 08-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Blarg, So you're suggesting CDC should make sure he loves all Asians before he gets offended by an insensitive gesture from some white chick?

quids, Do your Asian friends think that they're relatively free of racism in 2007?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg, So you're suggesting CDC should make sure he loves all Asians before he gets offended by an insensitive gesture from some white chick?

quids, Do your Asian friends think that they're relatively free of racism in 2007?

[/ QUOTE ]

probably, but I hang out with meat heads who dont really give a [censored] about much other than banging chicks, getting high and having a good time, so it may skew things.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

probably, but I hang out with meat heads who dont really give a [censored] about much other than banging chicks, getting high and having a good time, so it may skew things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you asked them? If you met CDC I think you would be surprised that he cares the slightest (or for the most part even notices) racism.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you asked them? If you met CDC I think you would be surprised that he cares the slightest (or for the most part even notices) racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Much too deep of a conversation for most of my friends.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:03 AM

I got a lot of crap from my boss for owning a Nissan while working at a Cadillac dealership from '92 to '94. He would say things like "you want your kids working for the Japs"? Once he had to meet with several Japanese businessmen. Around that time there were news stories of Japanese investors buying up lots of property in Manhattan. He made a joke to the effect that "you guys should buy American", to which they replied "We are. We are buying America."