Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: OFFICIAL WORLD SERIES! - Boston Redsox vs Colorado Rockies

[ QUOTE ]
Fielding is hard to judge but Boston turned a higher percentage of balls in play into outs than Colorado did (although Colorado has a very good defense too). I would either say it is a push or Boston has the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really ? I thought I heard someone on fox sports radio talk about the insane fielding the rockies had this year. I probably misheard.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I didn't read this all. Can someone put who is the best in each of these:

Hitting - Sox
Fielding - Rox
Starting pitching - Sox
bullpen - Sox
team speed - Rox (more importantly who cares)
coaching - Not really sure and don't care. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Tito

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fielding is hard to judge but Boston turned a higher percentage of balls in play into outs than Colorado did (although Colorado has a very good defense too). I would either say it is a push or Boston has the edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really ? I thought I heard someone on fox sports radio talk about the insane fielding the rockies had this year. I probably misheard.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you probably heard correctly I just would not trust a lot of the crap you hear on sports radio.

If you scroll down to team pitching statistics on the below link, they ahve the stat DER, defensive efficency what proportion of balls in play turned into outs. BOS was at .706 and COL at .702, both very very good.

link
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM

Manny playing in the abyss of Coors Fields should put the defense debate to rest.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now the only ones I seem to be able to give to the rockies is fielding and team speed. Is that about right ? I just don't know enough about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Rockies stole 100 bases, were caught 31 times, 77%
the Red Sox 96 bases, were caught 24, 80%
Old 10-22-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just hope it is an exciting WS and that at least one game is played in a snowstorm.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good chance of the snowstorm. It snowed a bit in Denver yesterday morning, and snow is pretty common in Denver in late October.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just hope it is an exciting WS and that at least one game is played in a snowstorm.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty good chance of the snowstorm. It snowed a bit in Denver yesterday morning, and snow is pretty common in Denver in late October.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weather will be good next weekend.. almost no chance of snow. Although it is Colorado and that can change overnight.

As far as the matchup.. the only areas we have the edge are speed and fielding imo, but the edge we have there is smaller (and less important probably) than the edge BoSox have in hitting and overall pitching.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This morning, after more than 8.5 million hits on the Colorado Rockies website, Paciolan, Major League Baseball's ticket vendor, experienced a system wide outage that impacted all of its North American customers. As a result, the Colorado Rockies have suspended the sale of 2007 World Series tickets scheduled to be played at Coors Field.

"It's been an extremely frustrating morning for our fans and the entire Rockies' organization," said Keli McGregor, Rockies' team president. "We are working diligently with Major League Baseball and Paciolan to resolve the issues impacting online ticket sales for the 2007 World Series."

Although some ticket transactions (less than 500 seats) did take place this morning, virtually the entire allotment for all three games of the World Series scheduled for Coors Field remains intact. A plan for the sale of the available World Series tickets will be announced as soon as the details are available.

[/ QUOTE ]

From coloradorockies.com
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

There is an announcement in 10 minutes regarding what they are doing. You can get a live feed on www.9news.com
Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious Q: where does the "humidifier" factor into stuff like Wakefield pitching? Does it help his stuff be more volatile or does that just affect velocity and keeping the ball in the park?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just guessing here, but I think the humidor would make knuclers and breaking pitches move less, as it makes the ball a little heavier.