Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 AM

Default What part of America should a smurf visit?

Hello all

As part of my ph.d., I have to leave my beloved office and not so beloved students and head abroad. With my project in mind, there are a couple of places in the US that would make sense. UCLA Berkeley, Getty in L.A., a couple of places in New England etc. The thing is, my travel expenses will be covered, and my salary will suddenly become tax free (which makes a difference, because Denmark is the world record holder in the noble art of taxation). However, making a little sum playing stud wouldn't hurt. If I did go to America and in the meantime online poker has become illegal, I would have to be near some stud action. So, should I opt for California or the East Coast (i.e. Foxwoods or Atlantic City adjacent)? My project is so broadly defined that I can go pretty much anywhere, although I do think my boss would smell a rat if I suggested Vegas [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I'm not thinking about high limit games, because I'm not good enough for them and not comfortable with the swings. More like good $6-$12, $8-$16 and $10-$20 games. Ideas will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Smurf
Old 03-31-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: What part of America should a smurf visit?

from what i understand, you pretty much have to be in AC or foxwoods for anything above 1-5 spread limit stud.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:16 PM

Smurf,

Either Atlantic City or Foxwoods would be good for what you want. I personally play a lot in AC so the Taj has a special place in my heart...you should try to play at least 10-20 or 15-30 stud if you can for best action.

Jeff
Old 04-01-2006, 01:00 AM

What Jeff said - stay away from his LAGGY play though.

Remember though that AC is not the greatest place in the world to live (perhaps the worst!?). Not many places in NJ are for that matter - Edison is OK, Cherry Hill not bad. For that reason, live on the sea front in New London or even New Haven or Providence (if you dont want to play everyday) and play at FW.

No shortage of games either way.

I will be returning to AC and FW in about a month from Asia. See you there.

btw, you could always tell the boss you want to live in Henderson rather than Vegas. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I understand that north of NY is a more tempting place to live than south. Maybe I should just find a place in New London and simply commute my butt off to Boston and NY for my work, and if that's close to Foxwoods ... well ... who knew?

I would absolutely have to see the Taj and Jeff in action at some point, too. Don't worry, Jeff. Nobody will find it strange that you have a big Scandinavian smurf looking over your shoulder ...

ACPlayer, I'm not going for a while. I just have to plan it in advance, because there's a lot of red tape involved. For instance, the visa waiver thingie between USA and most western European countries is limited to three months. I need to have set up deals with people at relevant institutions, get my plans through our own scientific advisory board etc. etc., but I'll be more than happy to draw on your experiences.

I'll go back to working on my game. I'm running insanely hot with 19.72BB/100 over 1071 hands. Thanks for asking. I'll sure keep that up [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should just find a place in New London and simply commute my butt off to Boston and NY for my work

[/ QUOTE ]
I would really advice against this. That would be easily a 2 hour drive each way. It might be ok if you pick a school in Philly/NY and take the train to AC once a week or so.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should just find a place in New London and simply commute my butt off to Boston and NY for my work

[/ QUOTE ]
I would really advice against this. That would be easily a 2 hour drive each way. It might be ok if you pick a school in Philly/NY and take the train to AC once a week or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two excellent universities near New London if that is what Smurf is interested in. Yale in New Haven is an hour's drive from FW and Brown in Rhode Island a bit less.