Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Start-up times for PCs

I appreciate all the info and opinions.

I understand that the hibernation alternative is a great way to keep from having to suffer the boot time. Unfortunately, I run WindowsXP still and there's some kind of bug that frequently prohibits hibernation from occuring. When that happens, it's doubly bad as you have to shut down, and then when you start back up, it for whatever reason has the hibernation command in que and the machine turns back off (essentially forcing me to startup twice).

[ QUOTE ]
did you also consider operating systems now are more complex than DOS or whatever you used in the 80s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. But I find it hard to believe that the "stuff" that an operating system needs to do has increased at the same pace as power and speed of computers.

I'm certainly not knowledgable when it comes to computers. I know the things I want to do and how to do most of those things. I know little to nothing about how the machines that do my bidding work.

The problem I have is that it seems we are becoming desensitised to this start-up downtime.

It's kind of like federal witholdings for those in the US. Ask somebody who "makes" $1000/week how much they make and they are pretty much trained to think in terms that they really only make 750/week or whatever. People have simply given up on the notion that they should see every penny they earn and then pay their taxes at a later time.

I don't think it's a radical notion to think that these super fast (and increasing in speed and power seemingly geometrically) machines should be ready to go to work in an instant. We've had these start-up times for so long tho, people seem to just accept it. I hope consumers don't become permanently complacent when it comes to this.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM

relaly the only times i ever turn my computer off is when I need to restart due to a windows update or some other software that needs a reboot
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM

There are ways to make your PC start faster, but for most people it is just not worth efforts/money.

For example, you can use memory (RAM) for your system drive(with some additional hardware, of course), and then Windows will start literally in a matter of seconds.

And in most cases, the average system can by tuned to cut startup time in half just by playing with all those system staff (registry, servicies, policies, etc.) - but it will requires somewhat advanced skills...