Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 08-26-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: 88 UTG flopping overpair on drawy board.

We have an overpair + gutshot and fold getting 4:1???

Call, keep the pot small and re-evaluate.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its like Iraq. There are no good options left in this hand..just bad options and worse options because you got involved in the hand incorrectly. Had you raised pre you would likely eliminated the feild enuff to not be so woried that any card that improves ur hand at this point may also beat you. I see no need to compound the mistake..fold it and make a note to raise that pair next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm UTG. Pre-flop is standard and borderline folding. I'd only raise with intention of stealing here or with a top tier hand. I need as many people in the hand as possible to make this worth playing.

As for the great odds. I'm facing an open bet, a call, a drawy board, and two to act behind me.

What combination of cards can hit that will give me a hand I can extract any value from? What combination of cards hit that give me really strong second best hands that I lose a bunch check/calling a 5 way pot to?

I would literally need to river a full house to be sure of my hand here.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:45 PM

On 3K stacks, I don't mind a raise PF. I call the flop bet.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Huh? I'm UTG. Pre-flop is standard and borderline folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you talking folding a pair when there hasn't been a raise, ever? That should never cross your mind.

[ QUOTE ]

What combination of cards can hit that will give me a hand I can extract any value from?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really about extracting that much value, it's about winning a good sized pot. The pot's already a nice size, I'd be happy to win it now.

[ QUOTE ]

What combination of cards hit that give me really strong second best hands that I lose a bunch check/calling a 5 way pot to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, if one of the villians goes crazy on the turn you can just fold. However, if the pot is kept reasonably small, about 1/3 of the deck isn't terrible for you. Anything that pairs the board isnt so bad, a 9, J, Q, those all arent that bad. Just play it cautiously.

You're getting really good odds here, call and re-evaluate.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just hate passing up what is likely gonna be 6:1 or better. That's almost enough for the gutshot by itself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that only three of the fives could be worth calling for a gutshot. With so many people in the hand and the action shown so far, the five of hearts, that would complete your straight, has a great chance of filling a flush that beats you. It's not for sure, but I don't count it as an out when making pot adds analysis.

It's a drawy board yes, but don't discount the fact one of the blinds has a made straight or set already. I'm personally very wary of blinds in multi way unraised pots because they can literally hold any two cards. He also has no solid reads on the others yet to act behind him.

I fold as well here. The enticing pot odds are illusionary because the reverse implied odds will kick you in the ass.