Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: $5-10 hold em at foxwoods

[ QUOTE ]
I have very limited experience in th 5/10 game. Games are generally better then the 10/20 games though, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10 is probably the least profitable structure in Holdem.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else find it very odd that the same place spreads both 4/8 and 5/10? Or am I misunderstanding something?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 5/10 has a full kill which means it plays 10/20 after a large pot. Which may lead to consecutive large pots. I don't know when a "kill pot" occurs but I have heard that it is not infrequent. I play 10/20 @ FW and this is what I've heard from guys who play 5/10. The three or four guys who have stepped up from 5/10 to 10/20 that I know about range in ability from truly awful to fairly decent.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have been wondering the same thing. the full kill sounds like it could make the game interesting. i have been playing the 10-20 but i consider playing the smaller game from time to time. i am in no way a great limit player and i find the 10-20 to be similar to the standard vegas 3-6 game. 3 good players and the rest are donators. i look to be there tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ] Is this true about the foxwoods 10/20 being soft? How much are you guys buying in for the 10/20 game at foxwoods? How would you compare 8/16 LV to 10/20 Foxwoods? Is it really that soft? I'll be going to Foxwoods next month. They still don't spread PLO at foxwoods though?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 10/20 game can be soft but it can also be a bit wild depending on the table. In the last month I have twice played at tables where 3-bets pre-flop were common with 4 to the flop. Yesterday, there were two players routinely cold calling 3 bets and another capping with T7o and the like after limping (which won when the flop came 773...). That makes it somewhat easy but with a high variance. Also, the 10/20 LHE game @ FW is comprised mostly of regulars. At one point yesterday I was playing 9 opponents - including fellow 2+2er magicmcq - all of whom I had previously played @ FW 10/20. On a given day the 10/20 can play tight but is usually passive postflop. There are generally two or three very bad players (loose/passive/calling station types) and the rest can play well. Maybe two or three Tight aggressive players and one or two Loose aggressive... Also, many 20/40 players drop down and play 10/20 either because the wait is too long for 20/40, their game wasn't suited for the AGGRO 20/40, or they find it is much more pleasant...

I buy in for $500 (one rack of reds) and make sure I always have $200 in chips/cash on the table at the start of every hand. Amazingly there are a few who will play short rather than quitting. I have had swings of up to $1,900 in one session (In one I was down $200 and finished up $1,700 in a 12 hour session and in another I was up $500, down $1,200 and then got hot and finished down $400 in 16 hours).
Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have very limited experience in th 5/10 game. Games are generally better then the 10/20 games though, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question may be better suited for poker theory, but why do you think it is the least profitable? Certainly not many rooms seem to spread it - most I have been to have 4/8 and or 6/12, but not 5/10.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone play this?

i tried it for the first time last night at lost $141. i don't know if it was specifically the game i was in, but i only spotted one clearly weak player. the rest were very tight players and tight, reasonably good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you consider with the effect of the kill, that the average Big Bet is $15, you lost ~10 BB in a session. Although you crush the 4-8, There are many times you have walked away down $80.

That said, I have witnessed the same thing you have. The tables are often filled with tight regulars. They are there to make money. They usually have hands when they get aggressive. All you need is one or too LAGS at the table to make for some fun times.

My exeprience yesterday: Was at one table from about 12noon to 6pm. There were some lags, keeping pots big, kill pots were the norm at point we went two full rounds with all kill pots. I played pretty week tight, and slowly dwindled, Trying to catch cards, took a flyer capping betting on the turn 5 ways in a kill pot with the nut flush draw with 4 cards to a straight on the board. It hits and was called by all the steaights when I hit on the river. Over $400 Pot. There was one LAG Israeli Lady that went through wild sings, being all-in and reloading, and building up her 100$ buy-ins to 500$ only to loss it again. Then there were rock tighties, that slowly built up impressive forstresses over the day (one regular I saw slowly got from 500 to 1200.

After dinner I came back to the same table and the LAGs were replaced by more rocks. One was even reading a book - not a good sign, One was taking notes in a pad. After a couple of rounds of witnessing no kill pots and all their seriousness, I went for the table change.

Lags were around on the new table, I witnessed some great bad beats. I stayed pretty clean, though I put a bad beat on one guy when I called a preflop raise with QhJh, queen hign flop. We banged each other pretty good on the flop, I called him on the turn, and caught a runner - runner flush, he was not happy to see his set of queens destroyed. Sorry, but thanks.

After our table broke around 2 am, went to another, and someone sits down to the left of me that felt the to defend big time with crap in the blinds when I had real hands in position. Thank you.

All told I built my 400$ buy-in up to 1100, Then I either started getting stupider, looser, or stopped catching cards. Whatever. Cashed out $700 at about 4am.

Moral, yes there are a lot of rock regulars. Most of them play ABC, and can be beat but be careful, change tables if there are no obvious fish food (cause then it is you). It only takes one or two wild ones to make the game really good, though be patient...
Old 05-21-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This question may be better suited for poker theory, but why do you think it is the least profitable? Certainly not many rooms seem to spread it - most I have been to have 4/8 and or 6/12, but not 5/10.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pose that as a question and it's not a "theory". 5/10 limit Holdem is the least profitable Holdem structure, which may be spread in a poker room.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't pose that as a question and it's not a "theory". 5/10 limit Holdem is the least profitable Holdem structure, which may be spread in a poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]
Next time you want to educate us please don't use the word "probably".
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have been wondering the same thing. the full kill sounds like it could make the game interesting. i have been playing the 10-20 but i consider playing the smaller game from time to time. i am in no way a great limit player and i find the 10-20 to be similar to the standard vegas 3-6 game. 3 good players and the rest are donators. i look to be there tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ] Is this true about the foxwoods 10/20 being soft? How much are you guys buying in for the 10/20 game at foxwoods? How would you compare 8/16 LV to 10/20 Foxwoods? Is it really that soft? I'll be going to Foxwoods next month. They still don't spread PLO at foxwoods though?

[/ QUOTE ]
The 10/20 game can be soft but it can also be a bit wild depending on the table. In the last month I have twice played at tables where 3-bets pre-flop were common with 4 to the flop. Yesterday, there were two players routinely cold calling 3 bets and another capping with T7o and the like after limping (which won when the flop came 773...). That makes it somewhat easy but with a high variance. Also, the 10/20 LHE game @ FW is comprised mostly of regulars. At one point yesterday I was playing 9 opponents - including fellow 2+2er magicmcq - all of whom I had previously played @ FW 10/20. On a given day the 10/20 can play tight but is usually passive postflop. There are generally two or three very bad players (loose/passive/calling station types) and the rest can play well. Maybe two or three Tight aggressive players and one or two Loose aggressive... Also, many 20/40 players drop down and play 10/20 either because the wait is too long for 20/40, their game wasn't suited for the AGGRO 20/40, or they find it is much more pleasant...

I buy in for $500 (one rack of reds) and make sure I always have $200 in chips/cash on the table at the start of every hand. Amazingly there are a few who will play short rather than quitting. I have had swings of up to $1,900 in one session (In one I was down $200 and finished up $1,700 in a 12 hour session and in another I was up $500, down $1,200 and then got hot and finished down $400 in 16 hours).

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats sick Rick nice come backs. Does FW spread the 6/12 or 8/16? I play 2/4 and 3/6 online as well as NL and PLO. Looking in June to fine a level I'll be comfortable at.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

After dinner I came back to the same table and the LAGs were replaced by more rocks. One was even reading a book - not a good sign, One was taking notes in a pad. After a couple of rounds of witnessing no kill pots and all their seriousness, I went for the table change.

All told I built my 400$ buy-in up to 1100, Then I either started getting stupider, looser, or stopped catching cards. Whatever. Cashed out $700 at about 4am.

Moral, yes there are a lot of rock regulars. Most of them play ABC, and can be beat but be careful, change tables if there are no obvious fish food (cause then it is you). It only takes one or two wild ones to make the game really good, though be patient...

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember you correctly (6 seat Saturday night?) you played it very well.

Ironically, the guy who was reading his history book was very inconsistent and moody. He would put down his book to cold call with q8o and then go back to reading for an hour.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote
Thats sick Rick nice come backs. Does FW spread the 6/12 or 8/16? I play 2/4 and 3/6 online as well as NL and PLO. Looking in June to fine a level I'll be comfortable at.

[/ QUOTE ]

for LHE Woods spreads 4-8, 5-10 w/kill, 10-20 and 20-40. A consistent winner online will have no problems up to 10-20 (other than staying awake).

I haven't seen them agree to spread PLO,they do spread limit O8 (4/8 with half-kill and 8-16).